cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV7.5 - Item in Inbox that is archived when moved to a folder within Outlook will occationally cause a broken link

kpapreck
Level 4
Partner
I am running into an issue of broken shortcut links in outlook.  We have a archive policy to archive items after 30 days.  The problem occurs when the item is left in the inbox for over 30 days before the end user organizes it into one of their managed folders.  If they then move the EV-Shortcuted email to one of the managed folders, 8/10 times you will still be able to open the link.  But the other couple of times when you are within that managed folder you can no longer open the email.  It says that it cannot find the path.  Looking into Archive Explorer, the email is not found either.

I have gone through the user guides and have looked at possible causes, but none of them seem to fit in my scenario.

1. Storage Expiry - if storage expiry is run and deletes items from archives and you do not run shortcut deletion, then shortcuts can be left without a link in Outlook
2. Archive Explorer - If a user deletes an item from archive explorer and delets the item from Recover Deleted Items folder and shortcut deletion process has not been run, then shortcuts can be left in Outlook without a link.

The users are not using Archive Explorer so this does not apply.  And we are retaining everything forever, so storage expiry does not apply either.

The current environment is EV7.5 for Exchange 2007. 

I know that EV8 has updates with Dynamic Shortcuts and working with Managed Folders, but will this truly fix the problem that I am having?  What is the cause of why it is not working in my above scenario?  Is there a way to copy the email to the managed folder instead of just moving it to make sure the link is moved properly?

1 REPLY 1

Maverik
Level 6
I think the point here is the data in EV or SQL rather than any issues with the shortcut.  From what you have have said the item does not open from the shortcut and is not in Archive Explorer.  This suggests to me that the item has in fact been removed from EV and all that you have left is the shortcut to the item.  Which is fine except the data is not actually in EV anymore. 

The fact that the index appears to have been removed from the index suggests that the item has been removed and removed by correct procedures,i.e. storage expiry which is strange when you say this is not enabled. 

Firstly why not estalish if the data exists in EV and SQL.  Follow the technote below and let us know the results.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/288714