cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV8 Client - Causing All Sorts of problems

Marcrp
Level 5

We have upgraded to EV8 however the new client seems to be causing some very strange behaviour on the PC's we have installed it.

It stops our Websense Email Administrator from connecting to the server and also stops us browsing our sharepoint intranet. As soon as we uninstall the client everything works fine.

The PC's are all running Vista SP1 and it seems to be HTTP traffic the client is affecting.

We've booked a call with Symantec but no engineers back until Monday.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Marc,

I am not yet using EV8 client, but this is a little worrying.

In the EV7.5 client, you could enable client tracing. Press CTRL+SHIFT, keep pressed, then click EV button. Set for maximum tracing, try an action that fails. Do the same action (CTRL+SHIFT + Button that is (edited), check the logfile for any weird things.

And, although I am not sure you can classify this as a SEV1 (production down), it might well be worth calling support, and requesting a raise in priority. If they are reluctant to do so, ask for the duty manager who should be reachable. If this is indeed an issue with the client, I am sure Sym-support will be on top of it.

Any issues in the eventlog?

GJ

Message Edited by GertjanA on 12-31-2008 10:45 AM
Regards. Gertjan

Marcrp
Level 5

Unfortunately you don't have to be using the client at all for the problems to exist. Outlook isn't even running and the problems exist.

No errors at all in the event log which makes it hard to troubleshoot.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello Marcrp,

If Outlook is not running, then the client is not running. That sounds even more strange, because how could that than interfere?

Besides installing the client, did anything get installed? Security fixes? Software?

Good luck in troubleshooting this.

Gertjan

Regards. Gertjan

Marcrp
Level 5

It must be something it installs. As soon as we uninstall it from any of the affected PC's the problem goes away.

I've tried it on some XP PC's and its the exact same problem. No anti virus installed either to make sure it wasn't something like that interfering.

I'm afraid nothing else installed recently.

I think I'll have to wait for Symantec support.

Regards

Paul_Grimshaw
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I would get a network trace when the client is installed and the client is not installled and repro. Also a process monitor and a file monitor may be handy as well in both scenarios.

For http analysis then the tool fiddler is good. I see a case has been logged in the UK with the same symptoms so I am presuming that is the case that you are referring to. If you provide the above information then that will help the UK engineers.

Marcrp
Level 5

Thanks Paul, I have now resolved the problem with the use of the Fiddler tool. Here's what I found:

Fiddler was reporting that internal traffic was trying to authenticate through our Bloxx Proxy server. This should not be the case as internal address should be bypassed.

I removed the proxy settings within IE so that there was no proxy in place. I then ran our Websense product and it worked without a fault. Also our intranet was functioning as expected.

I then spent a while looking at the proxy settings and trying to work out why it was having problems. Too cut a long story short it was when I opened Outlook it changed our proxy settings and unticked the "bypass proxy for local addresses" and left it that way. This was the cause of why our Websense and other local traffic such as intranet were not working.

The fix was to change a setting in the Desktop Policy of EV. I had to remove the "add all enterprise vault servers to intranet zone" tick box and synchronize mailboxes and all is now well. Our proxy settings do not change and EV works as execpted.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.