cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV8 to EV10 Upgrade/Migration

charles-k
Level 5

Hello all,

I'm currently running EV 8.0.3 (1 server on Windows 2003 Standard SP2 32-bit).  I'm planning an upgrade/migration where the end-goal is to be running EV 10.0.1 on Windows 2008 R2 64-bit.  I'm planning on first doing an in-place upgrade of EV 8.0.3 to EV 9.0.2, then using the Server Settings Migration Wizard to migrate the EV 9.0.2 server to the new 64-bit server with EV10 installed (but unconfigured).  I have some questions around this --

1)  Can I upgrade from 8.0.3 directly to 9.0.2, or do I have to first upgrade to 9.0.0, then 9.0.1, then 9.0.2?

2)  Are there any gotchas or difficulties with using the Server Settings Migration Wizard to migrate and upgrade to EV10 concurrently?  I know the stated requirement is that the target EV version has to be the same or greater than the source, but I'm wondering if it would be easier to use the SSMW to migrate 9.0.2 to the new hardware first, then do an in-place upgrade to 10.  If anyone has any experience / feedback either way, it would really be helpful.

3)  What about the new 64-bit index?  Do I need to mount a separate index volume on the new server for the 64-bit index?  Or will it create the new index for the newly injested data on the same volume as the existing 32-bit index?

4)  The current EV databases are SQL Server 2005 (on the EV server).  For the new server I want to upgrade to SQL Server 2008 R2 (on the EV10 server).  If I detach the database volumes from the old server and attach them to the new server (they're on SAN storage), will the databases be automatically upgraded when the EV directory and storage services start up for the first time?  Or do I have to perform a manual move of the databases?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!

-- Charles

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

answers in line...

1)  Can I upgrade from 8.0.3 directly to 9.0.2, or do I have to first upgrade to 9.0.0, then 9.0.1, then 9.0.2?

You can go directly to 9.0.2

2)  Are there any gotchas or difficulties with using the Server Settings Migration Wizard to migrate and upgrade to EV10 concurrently?  I know the stated requirement is that the target EV version has to be the same or greater than the source, but I'm wondering if it would be easier to use the SSMW to migrate 9.0.2 to the new hardware first, then do an in-place upgrade to 10.  If anyone has any experience / feedback either way, it would really be helpful.

I have used the Server Settings Migration many times without issue.  Works great and I would go straight to 10. 

3)  What about the new 64-bit index?  Do I need to mount a separate index volume on the new server for the 64-bit index?  Or will it create the new index for the newly injested data on the same volume as the existing 32-bit index?

No need to mount a new volume, 64-bit indexes will be created automatically

4)  The current EV databases are SQL Server 2005 (on the EV server).  For the new server I want to upgrade to SQL Server 2008 R2 (on the EV10 server).  If I detach the database volumes from the old server and attach them to the new server (they're on SAN storage), will the databases be automatically upgraded when the EV directory and storage services start up for the first time?  Or do I have to perform a manual move of the databases?

Just follow this technote and you should be golden:

How to move the Enterprise Vault (EV) SQL databases from one SQL server to another.

Article: TECH35744  |  Created: 2004-01-25  |  Updated: 2012-03-22  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35744

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TonySterling

answers in line...

You can go directly to 9.0.2

I have used the Server Settings Migration many times without issue.  Works great and I would go straight to 10. 

No need to mount a new volume, 64-bit indexes will be created automatically

Just follow this technote and you should be golden:

How to move the Enterprise Vault (EV) SQL databases from one SQL server to another.

Article: TECH35744  |  Created: 2004-01-25  |  Updated: 2012-03-22  |  Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH35744

charles-k
Level 5

Tony,

Thanks for the quick response!

For the databases, since everything's on SAN storage, can I detach the database and FPDB volumes from the old server, attach them to the new server, then go through the steps in the TechNote for moving the databases?

I also have a second EV 8.0.3 server in the same site which isn't doing anything.  It was supposed to be our FSA server, but that project never took off.  It hasn't been archiving anything for couple years, and I've recalled all files from it.  I want to shut it down before upgrading the mailbox archiving server so I don't have to deal with upgrading two EV servers.  Do you see any problems with me just shutting down the FSA server then migrating/upgrading only the mailbox EV server?  Or do I have to uninstall the FSA components first to remove the FSA table(s) from SQL?

Thanks again for your help!

-- Charles

TonySterling

You will want to remove the FSA server from the site, otherwise you will need to upgrade it as well.

If you can, just delete the archive, vault stores, remove the targets, etc..

TonySterling

Oh, and if you want to leave the sql databases on the SAN, then yes, just detach them from the old SQL server and attach to the new. 

charles-k
Level 5

Tony,

Thanks so much for your prompt and informative responses!

-- Charles