cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV9.0.1 Event ID 20491 Error Downloading File Catastrophic Failure [0x8000ffff]

DPJayJay
Level 3

Can anyone help here?

I am getting vast numbers of these events recorded on our primary MS file cluster, and varying reports from users that files are accessible, or fail with an application error, or work on the second attempt etc.

But we are also experiencing Server service failures (symptomised by all file sharing stopping) on a weekly basis on this server as well, which a restart of the EV Placeholderservice rectifies immediately.

Given the lack of supporting infromation for this specific error, I am struggling to find a suitable troubleshooting path.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DPJayJay
Level 3

As part of another project, I have just increased our primary Task server RAM to 16GB.

Suddenly, all of those errors have stopped.....

Will monitor for a while to see if this has resolved the problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

What OS is the MS Cluster?

Anything other in the Eventlog?

Try running a DTRACE on the Placeholder Service

/Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

DPJayJay
Level 3

Hi

We are running a Server 2003 x64 cluster.

No other errors are in the event log (even when the file serving fails requiring a restart of the placeholder service)

A DTRACE shows the following (notice the "Exception occurred.  [0x80020009]")

<3704> EV:M CQueue::DeQueue item deQueued
<3704> EV:L RequestArchivedFile::Process (Entry) |
<3704> EV:M Processing a placeholder restore request for file: \\?\E:\Mount Points\Home\USER1\File1.xls Url: https://enterprisevaultfqdn/EnterpriseVault/download.asp?VaultID=185962DA480FA3741BDF0DF31213BC89C11..., placeholder version: 1
<3704> EV:L RequestArchivedFile::DownLoadFile (Entry) |
<3704> EV:L Attempting to download file: \\?\E:\Mount Points\Home\USER1\File1.xls at Url: https://enterprisevaultfqdn/EnterpriseVault/download.asp?VaultID=185962DA480FA3741BDF0DF31213BC89C11...
<3704> EV:L Download status for file: \\?\E:\Mount Points\Home\USER1\File1.xls is 8000ffff
<3704> EV:L RequestArchivedFile::DownLoadFile (Exit) |Exception occurred.  [0x80020009] |
<3704> EV~E Event ID: 20491 Error downloading file: \\?\E:\Mount Points\Home\USER1\File1.xls, Url: https://enterprisevaultfqdn/EnterpriseVault/download.asp?VaultID=185962DA480FA3741BDF0DF31213BC89C11... |Error Catastrophic failure  [0x8000ffff] |
<3704> EV:L RequestArchivedFile::RespondToFSADriver (Entry) |
<3704> EV:L Attempting to respond to FSA driver with downloaded file: \\?\E:\Mount Points\Home\USER1\File1.xls
<3704> EV:L RequestArchivedFile::RespondToFSADriver (Exit) |Success  [0] |
<3704> EV:L RequestArchivedFile::Process (Exit) |Success  [0] |
<3704> EV:L CQueue::DeQueue (Entry) | 

On some of these that I have been able to track, I notice the second attempt the file is restored, it is just the first attempt that fails generating the error.

DPJayJay
Level 3

As part of another project, I have just increased our primary Task server RAM to 16GB.

Suddenly, all of those errors have stopped.....

Will monitor for a while to see if this has resolved the problem.