cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EV9 Backups with Tivoli TSM V6 rel2 v2

alfredmjNZ
Level 4
Partner Accredited

New installation of EV9 Exchange archiving. Customer has Tivoli TSM backup agent installed on EVserver.  I have created and successfully tested the Powershell scripts to set backup mode on vaultstores and Indexes.  The PS1 script runs fine when run manually.  However, when run as part of the TSM backup script, it returns a status of 12.  This is non-zero and interpreted by TSM backup agent as "failure".  Any ideas from the forum?  Has anyone seen this before?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

FreKac2
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

A couple of things to look for/do:

1. As already mentioned the account that run the commands need to have permissions to do so in EV. I usually do this by changing the account/adding permissions to the account that run the TSM services.

2. Unless it has recently changed TSM is a bit of a pain in regard to the scripts because it doesn't really deal with spaces in the paths, not even when using quote characters e.g. "c:\some path\scripts\batchfile.bat". It's really weird since if you do it from the GUI it actually does add the quotes but fails anyway.

So put the scripts in e.g. "c:\scripts\setbackupmode.bat" if you haven't done it already, change to whatever path you want but keep it simple, no spaces or other characters that would normaly need quote characters.

3: Add some checks in the batch files, so that you know if it runs the commands at all.

E,g.

echo "script starts" >> c:\scriptlog\log.txt

<Some commands>

echo "script ends" >> c:\scriptlog\log.txt

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

JesusWept3
Level 6

how are you running them? via the ps1 scripts directly or to a batch/command file that then goes along to run the PS1? also what version of windows are you using? (2003 R2 x86, 2008 SP2 x64 etc)?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

alfredmjNZ
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Environment is a WIN2008 x64 server (not R2).

Scripts are run from a batch file, something like:

"C:\Windows\syswow64\Windowspowershell\v1.0\powershell" -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {Set-VaultStoreBackupMode -Name EVSITE -EVServerName EVSERVER -EVObjectType Site}"

As stated in first comment, this works OK when run manually, but not when run as a scheduled command from TSM scheduler.

lgarcia
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi,

the  scripts need to be run under an account who is member of "at least" storage administrator in EV's RBAC.

When you run it manually, you launch it with VSA account?

configure backup job to launch pre/post script with the same account, i think it should work

then if you want to configure a simple account with storage administrator  roles for backup you can check RBAC section of EV documention

Luis Garcia

+33 6 74 49 13 79

FreKac2
Level 6

A couple of things to look for/do:

1. As already mentioned the account that run the commands need to have permissions to do so in EV. I usually do this by changing the account/adding permissions to the account that run the TSM services.

2. Unless it has recently changed TSM is a bit of a pain in regard to the scripts because it doesn't really deal with spaces in the paths, not even when using quote characters e.g. "c:\some path\scripts\batchfile.bat". It's really weird since if you do it from the GUI it actually does add the quotes but fails anyway.

So put the scripts in e.g. "c:\scripts\setbackupmode.bat" if you haven't done it already, change to whatever path you want but keep it simple, no spaces or other characters that would normaly need quote characters.

3: Add some checks in the batch files, so that you know if it runs the commands at all.

E,g.

echo "script starts" >> c:\scriptlog\log.txt

<Some commands>

echo "script ends" >> c:\scriptlog\log.txt

alfredmjNZ
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks for the comments.

I have passed them back to the TSM admin.

I was already running the TSM services as the VSA admin.

Good idea on changing the path of the scripts, I'll have them try that.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Alfred

alfredmjNZ
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Just a quick reply to say you were 100% correct.

Once we moved the TSM scripts to a location without spaces or special chars, the TSM client was able to launch the batch scripts without issue.

We also removed all empty lines from the batch script.

This really is an idiosyncrasy of TSM! 

Thanks for the response.  Its really amazing how good it is to have this level of sharing!smiley

FreKac2
Level 6

You're welcome :)