cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVEA Removal Utility Write Permission Error

Ben_HCC
Not applicable

Hi,

Apologies if this is in the incorrect section of the forum, I'm new here and didn't see a section for this tool. 

My company wants to use this tool to remove some Extended Attributes that have been left behind from when we were on a NETAPP configuration. The files that were stored here all have .NETAPP as an Extended Attribute and this is inhibiting deduplication. As such, we would like to use this tool to find and remove these items.

I'm currently in the process of testing this tool to procure a proof of concept document for implementation into our live environment, and I've hit a bit of a wall:

The syntax is fairly basic - EVEARemovalUtility.exe path [-s | -f] [-l] [-d] [-r [-q]]*. I'm first looking to scan folders to discover any Extended Attributes (-s for recursive search and -d for detail), and then remove them (-r). With 90% of searches that I conduct, the tool is able to quickly find and remove EAs. However, there are some folders that I am scanning that generate the error:

"Unable to create log file in the folder *where the tool is installed*. Your account must have WRITE permission on that folder."

I have full control as the creator of the folder within which the tool is located, and my account is a Domain Admin so has full control over all the files that I am scanning. I find it strange that the tool is referencing creating a log file when I haven't told it to in my command (I haven't included -l.) These folders are not particularly large either, and don't contain thousands of subfolders/documents.

Has anyone had any experience with this tool, and might be able to offer some assistance? 

Many thanks,

Ben.

* -s Process recursively the folder that is specified in path.

-f Process the list of files in the EVEARemovalUtility log file that path specifies. 

-l Redirect the utility's output to a log file. EVEARemovalUtility creates the log file in the folder in which the utility is located. If you do not specify -l, EVEARemovalUtility displays its output in the command prompt window. -

-d Generate detailed output, which includes the names and values ofthe extended attributes for each file. This parameter has no effect if you specify the -r parameter. 

-r Remove extended attributes. If you omitthis parameter, EVEARemovalUtility only lists information about the extended attributes.

-q Run in quiet output mode. The output consists only of a summary which shows the number of processed files. This parameter has no effect unless you specify the -r parameter.

1 REPLY 1

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

it might seem redundant but make sure you have full control and write permissions specifically on the folder path that's generating the error, regardless of what the text says about the folder where the tool is installed