cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVPM vs Mailbox Policy

jason_lucy
Level 5
Is it possible to have only an EVPM policy without a mailbox policy?

If not, how can you change the archiving strategy to not require either choice (mailbox free or email age)?
5 REPLIES 5

PJuster
Level 5
Employee Accredited
Hi,

I believe you can only use EVPM to modifiy a hidden message (EV policy) in a users mailbox, not create one.

Why would you not want a policy ? as this links to all other aspects of EV indexes/shared mailboxes etc.

Having a policy allows centralised administration, EVPM (if possible) would need YOU to manage each mailbox on an individual basis, how would you keep track ?! It's almost like only using static IP's insrtead of DHCP, the management would  get greater the more EV users you enable.

jason_lucy
Level 5
In previous discussions with Symantec Support, using EVPM was the only way to create a policy to automatically archive email  in a specific folder in a user's mailbox. 

PJuster
Level 5
Employee Accredited
Hi,

EVPM, as support have correctly advised, can be used to customise a users hidden message/policy/archiving settings, but you cannot use it to create a hidden message from scratch.

jason_lucy
Level 5

Here is my EVPM file.  I want to use this, however, my question is if I have to have a policy created in the Admin Console.
[Directory]
directorycomputername=Ositename=OurSite

[Filter]
Name = FolderFilter
CreateShortcut=true
DeleteOriginal=true
UnreadMail=true
UseinactivityPeriod=true
InactivityUnits=days
InactivityPeriod=0

[Mailbox]
distinguishedname = all

[Folder]
Name=\Personal Folders - ARCHIVED
FilterName=FolderFilter
RetentionCategory=Forever
OverrideArchiveLocks=true

PJuster
Level 5
Employee Accredited

Yes, you need to have a policy setup and synced to a users mailbox in order for this to work.  Have you tried this without then, does it work without a policy ??