cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enable Shortcuts on user Inboxes

Jason_William3
Level 3
I wanted to know how can I enable the feature to put a shortcut in a user mailbox. This features works perfection after running the PST migrator but the same does not translate to the production inbox.

I have the user extensions installed along with the outlook forms. I see the special icons with the forms, but it appears the entire email is still in the inbox instead of a small shortcut. Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
"Clock on a box" is a pending item. If your safety copy strategy is after backup you need to backup the vaultstore or at least remove the archive bit. There is documentation in the Admin help on this. Do a search for Safety Copy and you should find what you need.

Cheers,

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Lee_Allison
Level 6
Jason, check that your settings for Shortcuts are established the way you want them. Go to the mailbox policy and bring up the properties, click the shortcut tab. Also, the help files talk a lot about what you need to do there.

Jason_William3
Level 3
Hello Lee,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to me.

I looked at all of those settings and they make perfect sense. The PSTs I have imported into the Vault, all are following the "Shortcut" Default Policy settings. It is just the inbox as new items are archived aren't. I am sure I am missing something here, but have not had any luck on figuring it out. Thanks

TonySterling
Check the setting on your Exchange Mailbox Archive policy Archiving Actions tab.

Tim_Wilkins
Level 4
I am having the same problem Jason is having. The policies seem to be working with the correct messages, but they are not correctly replacing the messages with a small shortcut. The messages are being moved into the archive, but the breakdown seems to be in the shortcut process.

I have triple checked the policy. The archiving actions tab is set to "delete original item after archiving" and "create shortcut to srchived item after archiving." The overall lock setting is set to "force users..."

The shortcuts tab is set to "include recipient information in shortcut" and shortcut body is set to "none." When shortcut is opened is set to "show properties."

If anyone has any further ideas, I would sincerely appreciate them. Thanks!

Lee_Allison
Level 6
TIm, that sounds like it should be making shortcuts alright. So only one of two possibilities... either the shortcuts aren't getting created or are getting moved/deleted after creation.

You can check app logs or dtraces for the first one and check the inboxes of users or test mailboxes to see if something's killing the shortcuts once made.

Tim_Wilkins
Level 4
Hi Lee,

I'm afraid I didn't make myself clear. I do see the shortcut icon, but the message is still full size.

In other words:

Message A should be archived, and is 5MB. After the Vault runs the storage task, the message appears in the users mailbox as a shortcut with the little "clock on a box" icon, but the size is still 5MB. When you search the vault, message A is in the vault, where expected.

I don't believe that anything is getting deleted, as you may have originally suspected.

Lee_Allison
Level 6
Ah, gotcha Tim. Well regardless of the settings that behavior is that the shortcuts are being created with full message bodies. If the now-archived email has the proper icon that indicates it's message class is now IPM.Note.EnterpriseVault.ArchiveItem which means EV has done it's thing.

If it's still 5M then EV thinks it should be including the whole message body.

Try changing the settings in the policy to anything else, then change it back to 'no message body' and run a synch. Look in the app logs for any kind of error and assuming there are none try another archive and observe the results.

Tim_Wilkins
Level 4
I've tinkered with the various settings, but I've had no luck.

One further piece of information: When I open the message that is supposed to have been archived, there is a little header at the top of the message that says "This item is being copied by Enterprise Vault. Do not copy, move, or delete this item."

TonySterling
"Clock on a box" is a pending item. If your safety copy strategy is after backup you need to backup the vaultstore or at least remove the archive bit. There is documentation in the Admin help on this. Do a search for Safety Copy and you should find what you need.

Cheers,

Tim_Wilkins
Level 4
That was the problem, Tony, thanks! We weren't backing the box up yet since it's currently in a test implementation.