cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling Client Driven Migrations

Paul_Daley
Level 5
Dear all,

We're in the process of rolling out EV across the business, but being the cautious folk that we are, we want to do it in small chunks.

Ideally I want to control this by using exchange distribution groups. Using evpm I can enable a group at a time using the ldap query function.

How can I enable client PST migrations based on groups? I suspect evpm can't do this. Are there any clever ways to script this or hack the database to achieve this? Is there a command line tool to enable client migration? When you enable someone what actually happens?

Many thanks,

Paul.
2 REPLIES 2

Alan_M
Level 6
You can use EVPM to migrate PSTs although it ceases to be a client driven migration. On the plus side the same LDAP queries you used for enabling mailboxes will work.

What happens with client driven PST migration is that the PST migration message is sent out, the hidden message with the client mailbox is updated to reflect the change, and the SQL metadata is updated to reflect that a client has been enabled for PST migration. When the PST migrator task runs these clients will be processed. The PSTs will be located and copied to the PST Holding folding and from there into the PST temp folder.

Paul_Daley
Level 5
I've worked around the problem by hacking a vbscript to set the "state" field for all users in a group. I can then use the enable wizard to filter on that field to select the users!

I used "state" as that wasn't currently in use. Once used I then clear that field again. You do have to wait for AD to replicate and then do a manual sync in EV.

Also discovered you can do a similar thing with a neat tool called ADModify.

Have fun,

Paul.