cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault DR site configuration - Help Needed!!!

fangwolf
Level 3
Hi,

I need some advice on my current EV production and EV DR configuration.

Current EV production server is installed with EV 7.0 SP3 and SQL 2005 server. EV DR server is installed also with EV 7.0 SP3 and SQL 2005 server.
Using centera for the storage vault. There is a centera each in both the production and DR site respectively.
I am of the understanding the centera in-built replication functionality will take care of the sync of the data between my production site and DR site.

Now comes my question, as the EV production server and the EV DR server are seperate installations on its own, I don't think it is possible for me to restore the sql databases which I have backed up on the EV production server into my EV DR server and expect it to be able to work?

Apparantly when one does an EV installation, unique IDs pertaining to EV will be created in the EV tables found in the SQL. Hence even if one has copied the Indexing files, Shopping files, Reports over to the EV DR server, one will still encounter problem running up the EV services as the restored SQL tables on the EV DR server (unique IDs pertaining to EV) does not correlate to the EV installation found on the EV DR server.

My current EV production server is currently live with users' data. This is the first time that we are attempting to make use of the EV DR server to go live temporarily to test its functionality and reliability. However with the way the current EV production and EV DR servers are being set up, I need some advice on which EV SQL data I need to make a note of in order to get my EV DR server to work successfully after I have restored the EV Production SQL tables on it.

Thanks a lot for the help in advance!~
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
1 Locations the same - thats good, definitely simpler since you have Centera, your main concern is the indexes

3. The VaultEntry table is in the EnterpriseVaultDirectory table you are correct, just change the SQL server the vault stores are located in
    On each EV server go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Directory\Directory Service\SQLServer Name
    Change this to your SQL Server in the DR site
    (you may want to transfer your Registry settings from production machine to your DR machine)

4. And yeah USL by right clicking Enterprise Vault Servers

This is important because where most things use the DNS Alias, the MSMQ paths in the Database does not, it uses the NETBIOS name of the server
As long as the DNS matches up and everythings pointing at the correct storage and indexing locations and EV is looking at the right databases, you'll be good :)
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

JesusWept3
Level 6
What you should do is restore the databases to the DR site and you will have to do the following

1. Try and make sure that the Data (Indexes and such) are in the same locations as the previous installation
2. Make sure the DNS Aliases (including site alias) of the active servers now point to the DR servers
3. If the SQL Server names have changed, then update the VaultEntry table and the Registry entries on the EV Server so the Directory service can communicate
4. Once the servers are set up, start the admin and directory services and then run Update Shortcut Locations

Would suggest turning the site schedule off whilst you're in the DR scenario and possibly even put the Services in read only mode as well

fangwolf
Level 3
Hi JesusWept2

1) Locations in both the Production and DR are installed the same. So should not be too much of a problem in this.

2) Seems pretty straightforward.

3) Erm the VaultEntry table is one of the tables found in the EV SQL database? For the Registry entries, which are the keys I should be changing?

4) I presume u meant -> "Right-click the Enterprise Vault Servers container and, on the shortcut menu, click Update Service Locations." Enterprise Vault updates the service locations and creates new services as necessary.  This should solve the problem of having the restored production databases working on the DR site right?

JesusWept3
Level 6
1 Locations the same - thats good, definitely simpler since you have Centera, your main concern is the indexes

3. The VaultEntry table is in the EnterpriseVaultDirectory table you are correct, just change the SQL server the vault stores are located in
    On each EV server go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Directory\Directory Service\SQLServer Name
    Change this to your SQL Server in the DR site
    (you may want to transfer your Registry settings from production machine to your DR machine)

4. And yeah USL by right clicking Enterprise Vault Servers

This is important because where most things use the DNS Alias, the MSMQ paths in the Database does not, it uses the NETBIOS name of the server
As long as the DNS matches up and everythings pointing at the correct storage and indexing locations and EV is looking at the right databases, you'll be good :)

fangwolf
Level 3
Hi JesusWept2,

I have managed to test out the swing over from a production ev server to a dr ev server in a test environment. It worked!!!

Will now attempt to test it in my actual environment. Wish me luck!

Btw, I noticed that the shopping location in the production ev server is different from the dr ev server. I would think I need to move the shopping location to be similar on both sites. Was wondering if it's advisable to move the shopping location while the production ev server is live. Or should I go the safe route and move it only after I put the production ev server into read-only mode.