Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault Design

Ronen_Tzimbel
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello,

We have 5 branch site with 5 Exchange server 2007

the size of the database is  each exchange server 300-400 giga.

I need to know if  it possible to archive all of the Exchange server with 1 Enterprise vault (put in DataCenter Site) ?
the Bandwidth Between Branch site is 4 MB/s (500KB\s)

Many Thanks Ronen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

thats all a load of hog wash.  Yes it could, but latency here is the big killer.  for each message archived, you will have around 11 mapi calls so you can have a 100MB pipe, but a latency of 200 ms but that would take 2 seconds just to do the mapi calls per message..... this has noting to do with just bandwidth.

You need to contact a professional here if you want this working properly. Contact a Symantec Partner or Symantec PS.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

There are a lot more considerations to take in to account here.

However the simple answer is yes.

The more detailed answer might be no.

You should involve a SYMC partner or Professional Services.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6

What is the latency like?

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

The key elements to consider are:

Daily archive volume (# of messages per user * # of users) and available bandwidth.  The size of the Exchange db is essentially irrelevent. 

A 4MB pipe could transmit a maximum of 19K items per hour (average size of 100KB).   You should probably expect half of that (without further testing).   If we add in the following assumptions:

- 25 emails per user per day

- 4 hour archiving window

You could accomodate ~1500 users per remote site.    With 5 sites and a max of 1500 users you would be at the top end of a single server capacity.  If there are fewer users (less volume) per site you should be able to accomplish your goal.

I would also recommend that you consider use separate vault stores for to separate exchange locations so that  can easily expand to a second server to split the load in the future.

Ronen_Tzimbel
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks maxwits,

Is It Possible to archive 150 Users with 150 Giga DataBase (Over the WAN) in Day one.

I have 48 hour archiving window for that (Saturday- Sunday) and 6 hour (Monday- Friday)
I Dont know  How long its take to archive ?
I afraid that it`s take a long of time
Ronen

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6

thats all a load of hog wash.  Yes it could, but latency here is the big killer.  for each message archived, you will have around 11 mapi calls so you can have a 100MB pipe, but a latency of 200 ms but that would take 2 seconds just to do the mapi calls per message..... this has noting to do with just bandwidth.

You need to contact a professional here if you want this working properly. Contact a Symantec Partner or Symantec PS.

Ronen_Tzimbel
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Wayne,

the latency is 40-50 ms .

Ronen