cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault Licensing Question

USAble
Level 2
Does Enterprise Vault licensing apply only to Active Exchange Mailboxes? 

What happens if a Mailbox is deleted from Exchange, but retention for Enterprise Vault keeps the items that were in that mailbox for 7 years?  Does that deleted mailbox license become available for a new mailbox or is it committed to the individual messages that were archived from the deleted mailbox?

Finally, what happens if you have 600 licenses and 601 mailboxes?  will it archive the 601 mailbox & let you know that you have exceeded the license or will it just ignore the 601 mailbox?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I will answer your last question first, you will be able to enable more mailboxes you are licensed for and it will archive them.  HOWEVER, if you ring support or have a consultant come on site and they discover you are over your licensed amount then you will need to pay for the overage. 

License users refer to Active Users within the enterprise (i.e., Users actively creating new data that is being archived).You do not require a license for inactive mailboxes.

Also, this does not mean that you can buy 300 licenses and only have half your users enabled at a time.  :)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I will answer your last question first, you will be able to enable more mailboxes you are licensed for and it will archive them.  HOWEVER, if you ring support or have a consultant come on site and they discover you are over your licensed amount then you will need to pay for the overage. 

License users refer to Active Users within the enterprise (i.e., Users actively creating new data that is being archived).You do not require a license for inactive mailboxes.

Also, this does not mean that you can buy 300 licenses and only have half your users enabled at a time.  :)