Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault Outlook Plugin dosn't start

JesperBerth
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi 

I have an issue with Enterprise Vault 10 and Outlook 2010

When I open Outlook the EV plugin is not enabled, but if i do a "Run as Administrator" when starting Outlook it works so it looks like it's the UAC causing the trouble.

I cant disable UAC on this domain.

Has this something to do with the way i installed the plugin?

Any suggestions?

Cheers

17 REPLIES 17

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

How did you install the plugin? As which user? Did you deploy it using a tool, or just run setup.exe from the Outook Add-in folder?

Which Operating System is this on?

Working for cloudficient.com

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

A_J1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Quick Try would be uninstalling and re-installing the Outlook addin using administrator credential..

Let us know about the Client and EV Environment details..

JesperBerth
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi

Did a uninstall and then reinstalled by running setup.exe with "Run as Administrator" as a domain user with local administrator membership.

Operating System is Windows 7 64bit, and Outlook 2010 SP1

Still the same, I need to start Outlook using run as admin

After Pilot, we are going to use SCCM to deploy the Plugin

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
My best guess would be that it cannot access the registry settings properly, have seen it when people lock down their hkcu and it causes this kind of issue
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

JesperBerth
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi

Could very well be, there is a high security profile in the company

Do I need to add enterprise vault plugin to an exeption list in UAC?

RichardG
Level 5
Employee

Check that the EV client install directory is in the %path% when running as the standard user. The installer is supposed to do this but I have seen cases where it is not set correctly. I have seen the same symptoms as you describe caused by the path not being set correctly. If using 64 bit Outlook then the path needs to include the EV client x64 subdirectory.

JesperBerth
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Richard 

echo %path% has C:\Program Files (x86)\EVClient\

Outlook 2010 is 32bit

JesperBerth
Level 5
Partner Accredited

hkcu should not be locked down by policies

RichardG
Level 5
Employee

Ok not that then, assuming this is the path for the standard user not just the admin.

>>reinstalled by running setup.exe with "Run as Administrator" as a domain user with local administrator membership.

I would normally just run setup.exe as it does the required elevation - not sure if doing "Run as Administrator" can cause any issues.

JesperBerth
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Yes the standard User

Will try to reinstall using setup.exe as a regular user

A_J1
Level 6

Hi JesperBerth,

Let us know if you still have an issue after re-installing with a standard user.

JesperBerth
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi A_J

No changes when installing as a regular user, just executing the setup.exe file, install was ok. but still we can only see Enterprise Vault Add-in when starting Outlook with Run As Administrator

I just got a print showing all GPO that has something to do with UAC (see picture) - not all are applied to our test users

uac_list.png

A_J1
Level 6

Hello Jesper,

I checked the same in my Lab the only difference i see is 

"User Account Control: Detect application installations and prompt for elevation" is ENABLED.

If you can enable for this user then try to open outlook and check if we are getting any credential prompt.

Enter the user credential and then try and see..

I know this should not be the cause but worth a try

Also try with the admin credential..

Just have doubt, does the user is enabled for archiving in VAC..

JesperBerth
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi A_J

I will try to change the UAC as suggested

Yes the user is enabled for archiving, and we can see and access archived mail when we run as administrator

A_J1
Level 6

Hello Jesper,

Any update on this thread ??

JesperBerth
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi A_J

No not really, i tried making a GPO in my test lab with the same Settings as the customer and it dosnt seem to make any difference in my domain.

The customer has some very strict security policies, so it might not be the UAC alone there are causing the problem.

What does the EV app-in need to access, read/write files on c:\ regestry ??