cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault Upgrade

smart2011
Level 4

Hi,

I’m using Enterprise Vault 8.0 SP4 in my environment. Currently following options of Enterprise Vault are installed

1. Mailbox Archiving
  2. File Server Archiving
  3. Journaling
  4. Discovery Accelerator

I’m planning to upgrade all components of Enterprise Vault. According to upgrade path I can directly upgrade Mailbox, FSA and Journaling from 8.0.4 to 9.0.1.

But according to the following technote, only supported upgrade for Discovery Accelerator is from 8.0.5 to 9.0.1

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH53174

Kindly suggest that,

• should I upgrade all Enterprise Vault to from 8.0.4 to 8.0.5 and then 9.0.1 ?

OR

• Upgrade Mailbox, FSA and Journaling from 8.0.4 to 9.0.1, separately upgrade Discovery Accelerator (DA) first to 8.0.5 and then 9.0.1?

Any suggestion what is the best upgrade path should I follow?

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Yea so I would:

Phase1:

Upgrade DA to 8 sp5 dont touch EV API or binaries (as this needs to match EV version it searchs)

Phase2:

Upgrade Everything to v9 (do API or binaries on the DA box too I have forgotten to do this before!)

I would do it all the same day mind you but DA8 sp5 should be fine with EV8 SP4

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Are they all on the same box?

I would service pack DA to SP5 first, then upgrade whole environment to v9.

smart2011
Level 4

Forgot to mention. All options of Enterprise Vault are running on differnt servers. there are 4 servers in place.

Corrent me if i'm wrong. you are suggesting to upgrade Discovery Accelerator from version 8.0.4 to 8.0.5 and later upgrade all Enterprise Vault comonents to EV 9.0.1.

Regards/

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Yea so I would:

Phase1:

Upgrade DA to 8 sp5 dont touch EV API or binaries (as this needs to match EV version it searchs)

Phase2:

Upgrade Everything to v9 (do API or binaries on the DA box too I have forgotten to do this before!)

I would do it all the same day mind you but DA8 sp5 should be fine with EV8 SP4

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We did same excercise, in one go.

We've upgrade our EV80SP4, DA80SP4 to DA80SP5 first, verify that the DA-databases are upgraded correctly.

When ok, upgrade the whole shebang to EV90SP1.

one remark... backup backup backup. especially your sql-databases!

Regards. Gertjan