cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault authorization - Rebuild Indexes on Journal

Marc_Sivak
Level 2

Does anyone know of a way to either disable the rebuild indexes button on the advanced tab for journal archives (we've had this hit twice and have spent months rebuilding 4 years of Indexes on a Journal Archive) or to utilze authorization manager to set securit yon one vault server indexes different than another?  we currently have Journal services on a different server from our user archives and would like to keep the help desk ability to rebuild user indexes but keep them out of the journal side

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

probably the best way you can do this is to make sure they understand that rebuilding indexes should very very rarely be done.
Simple Updates would be enough to restore most failed archives functionality.

But at the end of the day, you are on the DA side of things, and that means legal, and legal lives and dies on the health of the indexes, and if that index is offline and you cant produce evidence required, your company can have hefty fines placed on them, so i would try and work it more from the political side of things

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Since you are going to allow the the abilit to rebuild user indexes I can't think of a way of preventing the from doing the same to the journal archives. Do you back up the indexes? You could always restore te backup and do an update instead of rebuild. Also, fire the next tech that rebuilds the journal index. I can't see how you could mistake that for a users archive!

JesusWept3
Level 6

To be honest i think you should pull the rebuild of indexes in general from everyone, only times you should have to rebuild anyone is on a proper index corruption (i.e core index files have been deleted) or you are changing the indexing levels (i.e. going from a Medium indexing level to a full indexing level)

Marc_Sivak
Level 2

would love to have a hard and fast policy to keep folks out, problem is we don't.  User archives occasionally have currupted indexes in our environment, our helpdesk probably does one or two a week.  It's a PITA but not a huge deal, hoping some advances in indexing in version 10 take care of that for us.  I can set permissions on an individual vault server and keep users out of the journal services, but the vault archives are still available for the mangling.  To make matters worse somebody gave the HD users our SVA and they keep using that, as i no longer manage the team that manages the applicaiton but am still asked to run discovery i'm stuck in the middle of this trying to find a technical way out versus a political.

JesusWept3
Level 6

probably the best way you can do this is to make sure they understand that rebuilding indexes should very very rarely be done.
Simple Updates would be enough to restore most failed archives functionality.

But at the end of the day, you are on the DA side of things, and that means legal, and legal lives and dies on the health of the indexes, and if that index is offline and you cant produce evidence required, your company can have hefty fines placed on them, so i would try and work it more from the political side of things