cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot search archives in Enterprise Vault 10

lboucher
Level 2

We consistently get the message: "The Vault that you are searching is being updated" when searching our achives.  I verified that the archive process is working correctly, that the collection process is working, indexes are ok, shortcuts being created and no errors showing in the admin console. 

Can anyone provide any input on why this is happening in Enterprise Vault 10 and how to fix it? 

I also ran dtrace and received message like these:

"Indexing is behind storage.  Setting InSync=false, and notifiying admin that there is work to do for the volume."  and "NotifyAdminOfPendingWork: Sent sync notification to admin"

I am also providing the latest dtrace log taken when I was attempting to search the archives.

Thanks,

Leo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Interesting piece from the Dtrace..

255 10:03:31.414  [9000] (EVIndexQueryServer) <7528> EV-L {CheckSourceStatusCommand} Index volume info: ArchiveID=11B7ACCBA9804D24C84383EDFC974064F1110000vault1 ArchiveName=download2 IndexVolumeID=5 IsFailed=False IsOffline=False IsRebuilding=False IsWorkPending=True ArchiveStatus=DV_DS_AS_AVAILABLE FirstItemSequenceNumber=1 HighestItemSequenceNumber=0 OldestArchivedDateUTC=12/30/1899 12:00:00 AM YoungestArchivedDateUTC=12/30/1899 12:00:00 AM OldestItemDateUTC=12/30/1899 12:00:00 AM YoungestItemDateUTC=12/30/1899 12:00:00 AM ArchiveType=DV_DS_VT_FS_ARCHIVE HasFolders=True IndexRootPath=E:\evstorage\index\index2 FolderName=11B7ACCBA9804D24C84383EDFC974064F_5 IndexItemsMode=INDEX_ITEMS_IMMEDIATELY CurrentEnableFacetedResults=False MixedFacetSettings=False FailedVolumeReason=None IndexedItems=0 IsLatest=True

It's saying there is nothing in the Index for the archive Download2 - however work is pending on it.

Can you try rebuilding the index for the archive.  I know, stupid question, but there is archived data in this Archive?

Also is this happening on all Archives?

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Are you indexes/ index locations in backup mode?  You can see in the dtrace it is firing off a request to sync as it sees it out of sync.

Can you run an Index verify job on an Index you are searching on.  Maybe also run a Sync job against it as well.

lboucher
Level 2

John, neither the indexes or index locations are in backup mode.  I ran a verify and synch on the archive database indexes and they ran successfully. 

I started a dtrace while searching the archives and saw many of the same errors including:  "indexing is behind storage".   The latest dtrace is also attached.

I appreciate your input on this.  Any other thoughts?

Leo

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Just wondering if this collection of hotfixes for EV10 indexes may help to resolve the issue -

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH172165

If it doesn't - can you stop the indexing services - start the Dtrace - start up indexing again, then run your search.

lboucher
Level 2

Thanks, John.

I applied the hotfix then ran a dtrace, searched the archives and got the same result.  I then stopped the indexing services, started a new dtrace, searched the archives and saw no change.  The last thing I did was to sync the databases, started a new dtrace, searched the archives and still no change. 

In the dtrace log file I saw again "Indexing is behind storage.  Setting InSync=false, and notifiying admin that there is work to do for the volume. 

Why does this consistently keep coming up after a successful database operation like sync, which I just ran?

In any case, I still can't search the archives and welcome any thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Leo

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Interesting piece from the Dtrace..

255 10:03:31.414  [9000] (EVIndexQueryServer) <7528> EV-L {CheckSourceStatusCommand} Index volume info: ArchiveID=11B7ACCBA9804D24C84383EDFC974064F1110000vault1 ArchiveName=download2 IndexVolumeID=5 IsFailed=False IsOffline=False IsRebuilding=False IsWorkPending=True ArchiveStatus=DV_DS_AS_AVAILABLE FirstItemSequenceNumber=1 HighestItemSequenceNumber=0 OldestArchivedDateUTC=12/30/1899 12:00:00 AM YoungestArchivedDateUTC=12/30/1899 12:00:00 AM OldestItemDateUTC=12/30/1899 12:00:00 AM YoungestItemDateUTC=12/30/1899 12:00:00 AM ArchiveType=DV_DS_VT_FS_ARCHIVE HasFolders=True IndexRootPath=E:\evstorage\index\index2 FolderName=11B7ACCBA9804D24C84383EDFC974064F_5 IndexItemsMode=INDEX_ITEMS_IMMEDIATELY CurrentEnableFacetedResults=False MixedFacetSettings=False FailedVolumeReason=None IndexedItems=0 IsLatest=True

It's saying there is nothing in the Index for the archive Download2 - however work is pending on it.

Can you try rebuilding the index for the archive.  I know, stupid question, but there is archived data in this Archive?

Also is this happening on all Archives?