cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault for Exchange - v.high CPU DiscoveryServices

Minke
Level 4

Hi,

We have Enterprise vault 9.0.1 running on a Virtual machine with 4 vcpu (used to be only 2 vCPU's until we noticed that the server was being slammed) and 4GB of RAM. Currently archiving around 1000 mbox across four exchange servers each with 3 databases each. so a total of 12 exchange database.

We are currently rolling out 1000 new machines moving from Office 2007 and office 2010 (which utilises the HTTP client obviously) so that is the main change between 2 months ago, and now...  

We are also running v10 of the outlook client (not v9)

Since doing this, we've noticed two things.

1. W3WP.EXE is getting hammered. However, we sort of expect this since the 2010 client uses HTTP where as the 2007 didn't.. so not really concerned about this.

2. More of a concern is the directoryservices*32.exe is using 60%+ of all 4 vCPU's... from 7am until around 7pm at night (which obviously when workstations are connected).

Other points, there are heaps of connections to the DirectoryService Database on the SQL box where EV's daatbases are (installed on separate server obviously)

Dtrace etc.. gives us nothing..

What is directoryservice doing?  is anyone else expericing this?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

what it sounds like to me is vault cache builds

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Minke
Level 4

I always forget something...  We do reboot the EV server nightly to clear MAPI connections.

Dead-Data
Level 5

The EV Admin service will restart the task controller to clear MAPI connections every 420 minutes.

Look for Event ID: 3431, Source: Enterprise Vault, Category Task: Controller Service

So no apparent need to restart server for this reason.

Hope this Helps

JesusWept3
Level 6

what it sounds like to me is vault cache builds

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146