Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise Vault v9 FSA question

ESI_EVAULT
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello all,

I'm a bit confused with an implementation of Vault v9 file system archiving I'm currently doing.  I do not know what the placeholder shortcuts look like.  How can I tell if what I'm looking at is the actual file or a placeholder shortcut for the file?  Can someone direct me to where I could see a graphic, etc or post a few graphics of the placeholder shortcuts?  The files that we've test archived appear to be fairly small, so I'm not certain I can tell from the file size.

Also, how can I tell if the shortcut for FSA is in archive pending mode? 

If a user clicks on the shortcut left behind, does that action restore the file automatically from Vault, or will the user just look at the file through the file's original application (ie word, excel, etc) and when they close out the file it remains in Vault and the shortcut stays in place?  Of course, if they change and save something, I believe the file will be pulled out of vault. 

Finally, what is the difference between the placeholders and an internet shortcut?  Will an internet shortcut take you to the file through a browser, or to the main Vault page where you'll have to pull it up from there.

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Here is an example in this technote for Windows 2008 and Windows 7.

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58322

Other OS's will show a small black clock looking icon.

There are no visible signs if it is pending, but if your FSA Archive Task is creating Full reports it will tell you in the report if it is waiting to be backed up or not.  These reports can be found in your Enterprise Vault program directory in the Reports folder.

Yes, when a user clicks a placeholder and opens it the FSA Agent automatically recalls the file and tries to open in the original format.

A placeholder will look the most like the original items icon.  You don't want to use internet shortcuts because they will the html icon.  Users will hate it!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Here is an example in this technote for Windows 2008 and Windows 7.

Article URL http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH58322

Other OS's will show a small black clock looking icon.

There are no visible signs if it is pending, but if your FSA Archive Task is creating Full reports it will tell you in the report if it is waiting to be backed up or not.  These reports can be found in your Enterprise Vault program directory in the Reports folder.

Yes, when a user clicks a placeholder and opens it the FSA Agent automatically recalls the file and tries to open in the original format.

A placeholder will look the most like the original items icon.  You don't want to use internet shortcuts because they will the html icon.  Users will hate it!

FreKac2
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

How to check if it's a placeholder:

1. If you show the "Attributes" column in Explorer you should see an O for Offline as the attribute.

2. If you really really want to check :)

Open a command prompt (probably need to run it as Adminsitrator if using UAC).

fsutil reparsepoint query <insert file name>

If you get an output it's a placeholder and if you look in the output you'll see the evserver listed as an http address.

Cheers

Fredrik

ESI_EVAULT
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback and info.  I was going a bit crazy there for a while.

ESI_EVAULT
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks for your assistance.  I needed a bit of a refresher with the FSA :)