cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise vault is currently unavailable (in Outlook 2003)

Felix_Sieder
Level 2
I have set up numerous workstations to use Enterprise Vault using Outlook 2003 with Exchange. The majority of them seem to be working properly. However, on a few workstations (perhaps 15-20% I get the following message when checking the Enterprise Vault tab in the mailbox properties.

"Enterprise vault is currently unavailable"

It is not a DCOM issue as seen in another thread. We did encounter that issue at first but the necessary changes have been made to all of our workstations. However, some workstations persist with this issue. Here are some other assorted details.

1) If you log in with administrator rights the problem is solved. However, I would like to avoid giving administrator rights to users of these workstations. Regular user or power user rights are not sufficient.

2) Not all workstations are identical but there isn't an obvious difference between those that are working properly and those that aren't. All are running Windows XP SP2.

3) If you click on the Archive Explorer icon in Outlook 2003 it launches IE as usual. However, I get a message stating "Unable to acquire a handle to the desktop object within Outlook".

4) If I click to add an individual message to the Vault/archive I get a message saying that "An error occured while processing the selected item" and if I check the details it indicates "0x80040150: Could not read key from registry"

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Sam_Wood
Level 4
Hi Felix.

Have you tried running a repair on Office 2003? From the error messages, it sounds potentially like a broken install. You could even rip out Office using MSICUU2 (tends to work better than an uninstall/reinstall for me).

Does the error reference a specific registry key? Could be an issue with registry key permissions (EV extensions or Office), which would explain why Administrators don't have the problem.

Sylvain_Hamel
Level 3
You could use Process Monitor from Microsoft (sysinternals) to monitor which registry key the program is trying to access when you are using a non-administrator account. This will help you to identify which security permissions is missing in your registry. You will have denied in the tool on a registry while doing the action in evault.

If you have problem to use the tool, just give me a call :)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/processesandthreads/processmonitor.mspx

-Sylvain Hamel

Felix_Sieder
Level 2
Unfortunately the error message doesn't provide any more information than what I have provided. I will try the items suggested in both responses and report back.

Thanks.
Felix

Owen_Brown
Level 3
Does anyone know if there is an updated patch for office 2007?

Philip_Hagan
Level 4
Regarding a patch for Outlook 2007. We just had a meeting with symantec this morning concerning other issues. According to their rep, an Evault patch for Outlook 2007 will not be available until sometime in April'07.

Needless to say we were a little surprised since EV7 will be out next month and it will support Exchange 2007.

go figure...