Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 8003

Daniel_Yehezkae
Level 4
Hey,

I'm getting this error (8003) for the last two weeks :

The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer IIS that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{9477690F-5450-45F4-8C16. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.

Is this a known problem ?
2 REPLIES 2

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Daniel,
That's a browser (network browser, not ie/firefox) issue, not really an EV issue. All the same, it means that another computer/server has joined your local subnet and announced that it can take the role of master browser (the computer responsible for maintaning the "master list" of computers available via SMB on that network segment). This usually happens when servers reboot.

Do a quick google search on the web, and it'll probably reveal how to track down the offending machine via mac addy, and either change the node type, or otherwise nerf that behaviour.

All in all tho, don't worry about it as master browser elections don't impact your EV environment.

micah

Amanda_H_
Level 4
I think in this warning message, "IIS" is the computername of the offending computer. So if you have a computer named IIS, check that one first.

There is a registry tweak from Microsoft that will prevent the node from trying to participate in browser elections. It should be applied to all workstations and any servers that you don't want assuming the role of Master Browser or Domain Master Browser; I've seen some incorrect DHCP scope properties whack this out and make all of the workstations try to become the Master Browser.

One of the things that determines who is the Master Browser is Windows OS and SP levels/versions. So if IIS is a newly built server running the latest and greatest from Microsoft, and you haven't upgraded the rest of your boxes, this will happen. Keep that in mind when deploying new servers and add that registry tweak to your standard pre-deployment checklist.