Event Source: Enterprise Vault
Event Category: Directory Service
Event ID: 8557
Date:  10/9/2008
Time:  11:37:12 AM
User:  N/A
Computer: SERVER-NAME
Description:
An error occurred attempting to update the Directory database.

Reason: <0x80040e14>
Reference: CFDDBU/idsun

From past experience (

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=106&message.id=11633&query.id=79384#M11633)

, I saw the same error when we upgraded from 7.0 to 2007 and after much troubleshooting we traced it back to the fact that database mirroring was enabled on the SQL servers.  That time when we disabled mirroring, we were able to start the directory service, and continue the process.

In working with our SQL DBA this time, he is trying to understand what is preventing the application from upgrading the Directory database while it is mirrored.  I found the following in the UpgradeInstructions:

When the Directory service starts, it automatically upgrades the Directory database schema and synchronizes new Exchange archiving policy advanced settings into existing policies.  

Our SQL DBA noted that mirroring does not lock the schema, so this should not be the problem.  Can anyone shed light on what is occuring during the upgrade process before I have to log an official call?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I'm not familiar with SQL Mirroring, but I think EV is trying to get "exclusive" access to the Directory DB.

Would SQL mirroring prevent such a thing?

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

David_standish
Level 5
Yeah, it looks like mirroring is causing the problem.  We started a trace from SQL and then tried to start the Directory Service and after it failed, reviewed the results of the trace.  The application is making the request to put the database in a Single user mode.  Mirroring puts the database in a Multiple user mode, and even from inside of SQL, you cannot set it back to Single while mirroring is still enabled.  The good thing from the trace is it looks like we only have to break the mirroing for the Directory database and not each of the Vault Store databases.