cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error: Catastrophic failure [0x8000ffff]

Fernando_Filipe
Level 3
I have been experiencing issues with Enterprise Vault 6.0 SP3 where it would not synchronise the SQL database with a new list of exchange mailboxes. If I tried to do it manually I would get the following error on the event logs

---------------------------------------------------
An error has occurred listing mailboxes on Exchange Server SERVER02 for synchronization.

Error: Catastrophic failure

Internal: .\AgentExchSynch.cpp (CAgentExchSynch::ListMailboxesExchange2k) built Jul 25 17:20:27 2006

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.veritas.com/rosetta/showevent.asp
--------------------------------------------------

When I ran the deployment scanner I would get an error under exchange specifying that it didn't have Send As or Recieve As permissions even though when connected to mailboxes with the vault service account and sending mail as another user would work correctly.

I reapplied all permissions on the exchange server, and the SQL server and still was unable to perform a successful archive or a synchronise of the database.

I performed the tasks outlined at: http://support.veritas.com/docs/273298 specifically the fixmapi.exe located under c:\windows\system32 and this resolved the issue.

As i was unable to find any posts directly relating to this error I thought I would post this for the use of any others that have had or are having this problem.

Regards,
Fernando
2 REPLIES 2

Micah_Wyenn
Level 6
Just a stab in the dark, but it seems to me that your sync problem is probably due to a mapi system mailbox issue. An easy way to test this would be to directly edit the archive and retrieval tasks in the directory SQL tables, and replace the system mailbox field with the VSA's email alias instead of the one that the task created for you.

micah

andra_christie
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Just in regards to the deployment scanner - even if you have the correct permissions set, it always gives a warning that the VSA does not have the correct perms, especially send/as and receive/as. If you have definitely checked that VSA exchange perms are correct, then you can ignore that warning as it's incorrect.