Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Mailbox Task service

james_macro
Level 2
Partner
Morning,

Im having difficulty trying to find the Exchange mailbox task for exchange server service. I would have thought it was an easy service to find and start so then I can continue to test the enable or disable mailbox function. I have just installed EV 8 so does anybody have any ideas please? All exchange services have started.

Thanks
James
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi This is not a "normal" Windows service. You have to search it in the Vault Administration Console, it's located under "Enterprise Vault Servers" -> "" -> "Tasks" Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

MichelZ
Level 6
Hi This is not a "normal" Windows service. You have to search it in the Vault Administration Console, it's located under "Enterprise Vault Servers" -> "" -> "Tasks" Cheers

james_macro
Level 2
Partner
Ok thanks for that. It failed to start the service so not being bothered to search through the troubleshooting can you see what im doing wrong with the below error:

cannot start the task because MAPI is incorrectly configured on the enterprise vault server.

Thanks again.

MichelZ
Level 6
Do you have Outlook installed & configured on the Enterprise Vault Server?
(You need to start Outlook and configure a Profile)

Cheers

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
You got Outlook+CDO & Exchnage System Manager installed?

Find mapisvc.inf there should be two.

Replace the smaller one with the bigger one.

Start --> Run --> cmd
run "fixmapi"

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello Wayne,

I thought on 8.0 ESM was no longer required? I do not see this in the pre-req section that is.

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan

MichelZ
Level 6
ESM is not required, and so is CDO. But ESM + Outlook gives mapisvc.inf troubles, I think this is why he asked. /Michel

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Well,  Exchange System Manager is not strictly requited but you do loose some functionality if Exchange System Manager is not installed.

Exchange System Manager provides inherited Exchange permissions synchronization. So you loose that if you do not have it installed.  Just make a note of that if anyone needs inherited Exchange permissions.

--wayne

GertjanA
HeLLo Wayne,

Sorry for th ebig L, bt the smaLL ones seem to fai ;)

I am not abLe to find in the instaLLing/configUring/admin gUide abot instaLLing ESM on the vaULtserver.

Can yoU point me to where this is wriiten down?

Thanks.

U-key faiLs too.

GJ
Regards. Gertjan

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
HAHA,

You asking me about documentation? I haven't even looked @ the v8 released documentation as of yet :)  I have no idea where it is but just asked someone and apparently its in there somewhere so ill take a look sometime if i can for you.

But I can confirm what I said in my post re the requirement for ESM if you want inherit permissions.

--wayne

TonySterling
just in case you don't trust Wayne! ;)

http://support.veritas.com/docs/317725

Enterprise Vault (EV) 8 and EV 2007(7.5) compatibility with Exchange 2003 Exchange System Manager (ESM) and Windows Server 2008

Details:
Background

The ability to synchronize inherited permissions from the Exchange server to users' archives requires ESM to be installed on the Enterprise Vault server.
Note the following:

1. If ESM is installed on an Enterprise Vault server running 32-bit Windows Server 2003, you can still synchronize inherited permissions from the Exchange server to users' archives.

2. Windows Server 2003 x64 SP2 prevents Exchange Server 2003 ESM from installing, so you cannot synchronize inherited permissions if the Enterprise Vault server uses this operating system.

3. All versions of Enterprise Vault still include the ability to synchronize delegate permissions; that is, permissions set through Active Directory users and computers, or through Outlook folder permissions.

Solution
Microsoft does not support Exchange 2003 ESM on Windows Server 2008 therefore the ability to synchronize inherited permissions from the Exchange Server to the user's archive is not available. Install a supported Operating System on the Enterprise Vault Server.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
James,

Could you give us an update on this issue please?

Merv
Level 6
Partner
 There seems to a way to get the vista version of ESM for E2K3 working on WS08 ->

http://blog.tiensivu.com/aaron/archives/1683-Exchange-System-Manager-2003-for-Windows-Vista2008.html

Will test this out in the lab - what is the risk of inherited permissions now flowing down to EV and according to the EV Compatability charts it does say that WS08 is support in WOW64 i.e. EV installed itseld in Program Files (x86).

Windows Server 2008
x64 edition (using WOW64)                                 SP1 N N N Yj, l

which means the SMTP agent is not supported and says to apply a hotfix - Requires Microsoft hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949516.

Basically I'm trying to move away from W2K3 and now this is like a gotcha. The below write on the Compatability charts regarding ESM is just so wordy and confusing i'm struggling to understand...

"Exchange System Manager (ESM)
Microsoft Exchange System Manager (ESM) is a prerequisite on the Enterprise
Vault server for Enterprise Vault 7.0 SP2 and earlier versions. See the following
subsections for more information.
Note: You cannot use Exchange System Manager on an Enterprise Vault server
to manage Exchange Server. The version of mapi32.dll used by Enterprise
Vault is not compatible with that required by Exchange System Manager.
Enterprise Vault versions where ESM is not a prerequisite
From Enterprise Vault 7.0 SP3 onwards, it is possible to run an Exchange
mailbox archiving task or Journaling task without installing ESM on the
Enterprise Vault server.
The ability to synchronize inherited permissions from the Exchange server to
users’ archives requires ESM to be installed on the Enterprise Vault server. Note
the following:
■ If ESM is installed on an Enterprise Vault server running 32-bit Windows
Server 2003, you can still synchronize inherited permissions from the
Exchange server to users' archives.
■ Windows Server 2003 x64 SP2 prevents Exchange Server 2003 ESM from
installing, so you cannot synchronize inherited permissions if the
Enterprise Vault server uses this operating system.
Enterprise Vault 7.0 SP3 and later versions of Enterprise Vault still include the
ability to synchronize delegate permissions; that is, permissions set through
Active Directory users and computers, or through Outlook folder permissions.

Enterprise Vault versions where ESM is a prerequisite
In Enterprise Vault 7.0 SP2 and earlier versions, Enterprise Vault servers with
an Exchange mailbox archiving task or Journaling task must have the ESM tools
and fixes shown in the table below.
Note: Exchange Management Console (the management tool with Exchange
Server 2007) is currently not supported on any version of the Enterprise Vault
server. To archive from Exchange Server 2007, install Exchange System
Manager for Exchange Server 2003 on the Enterprise Vault server. Outlook 2003
is also still required on the Enterprise Vault server, even if all of your target
Exchange servers are running Exchange Server 2007."

So what's this inherited permissions got to do with EV archives? Admins will have issues? etc..are they even being synced in the first place?

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited
I have the same question as Merv. What exactly is the impact of not having "the ability to synchronize inherited permissions from the Exchange server to users’ archives." It sounds like "the
ability to synchronize delegate permissions; that is, permissions set through Active Directory users and computers, or through Outlook folder permissions" is sufficient.

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
There is no impact by not synchronizing inherited permissions.  I have not run into anyone in a bit over 3 years supporting EV who does it.

Look at the permissions of a users mailbox - you will find that most of the inherited permissions are Deny anyway - so really do you want to sync these permissions to an archive?