cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Server decommission

sandrine_goetha
Level 6
Hello everybody, I have a question which will seem stupid to a lot of people but I just want to make sure I get it right. We are decommissioning the first Exchange server we archived in our site (that I know how to do in the console). My question is about the Vault System Account: this account as a mailbox on let’s call it Exchangeold. Now I would like to know if I can just delete the mailbox or if I have to move it to another Exchange Server, knowing that I already have a System Mailbox on each of my Exchange Server. I would say that I can delete it but I want to be sure. Thank you for any answer. Sandrine
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hi Sandrine,

The VSA does not have to have a mailbox, so you can delete the mailbox. If you want to be sure, move the mailbox to another server. It is (afterall) nothing more than a usermailbox. The new systemmailbox you have created is defined to be used in the task, so this VSA mailbox will just sit there, and gather mails sent to 'all' ;)

Regards

Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

GertjanA
Hello Sandrine,

I assume you mean Vault SystemMailbox.
It is safe to remove this mailbox and account.

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan

sandrine_goetha
Level 6
Hi Gertan,
This is my point The system Account was installed with a mailbox which was the system Mailbox for this Exchange Server.
I know that for a normal System Mailbox it can be deleted when the exchange server is not archived anymore but in this special case I have doubts, I don't want to do anything wrong.
I know the account AS to stay in order for Ev to run but for the mailbox I'm not sure.
But anyway thanks for your answer.
Sandrine

GertjanA
Hi Sandrine,

The VSA does not have to have a mailbox, so you can delete the mailbox. If you want to be sure, move the mailbox to another server. It is (afterall) nothing more than a usermailbox. The new systemmailbox you have created is defined to be used in the task, so this VSA mailbox will just sit there, and gather mails sent to 'all' ;)

Regards

Regards. Gertjan

sandrine_goetha
Level 6
Thank you Gertan,
I moved it to another server but know I know that I can delete it without problems.
Sandrine