Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exclusion of cookies and userprofile data with FSA

onapele
Level 2
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi,

IHAC who is using FSA but would like to exclude certain files such as cookies and desktop folder from user profiles. They are running EV2007 SP6 but plan to upgrade to EV9 or EV10 soon. Can system variables be used in the archviing rule? I have tried and it doesn't like %USERNAME% or *

Is there a way to exclude for example the desktop folder from being archived without having to add each individual user path as a target. There are over 1000 users to add manually if this was the case. The example below if we could use a variable for user01, user02, user03 if possible that would be great.

Any other thoughts such as using an answer file to pass onto archivepoints.exe or any other options.

eg,

h:\profiles$\user01\desktop

h:\profiles$\user02\desktop

h:\profiles$\user03\desktop

Regards,

Jonathan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris_Alleman
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi onapele,

I believe this can be accomplished by using Retention Folders to exclude those common subfolders from archiving.  Please see the following TechNote for more information/instructions:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64712

Hope this helps!

-Chris

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SHI-CRO
Level 6

You could create a folder target for the "profiles" folder and use a policy to not archive anything.

Chris_Alleman
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi onapele,

I believe this can be accomplished by using Retention Folders to exclude those common subfolders from archiving.  Please see the following TechNote for more information/instructions:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64712

Hope this helps!

-Chris

onapele
Level 2

Thanks technote worked with a few tweaks.

Note:

• if the folder you want to exclude is part of a hidden share you cannot use the import folder structure.
  • if the folder to exclude is a few levels down you have to manually create the folder structure in the policy up to the excluded folder. You also have to create a folder policy to archive the folders above the excluded folder. The Volume policy is not an option to select for the levels above the excluded folder.