cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting FSA Archive

Haydn1
Level 2

I have an EV FSA archive that I need to export back to the original location. The policy since this archive was created was not to delete items in the vault if the placeholder was deleted. It was never planned at the time that any of the files would need to be exported back out in the future.

The FSA utility doesn't have any switch that enables me to export files out of the archive back to their original location, but only for locations with placeholders.

I found an old posting from 2009 now locked that suggested scanning the required folders with AV. This appeared initially to work on a couple of test folders, pulling items from the vault. However it didn't retrieve all the items in the folders I scanned - some place holders remained.

It seemed to be completely random as to what was extracted, and didn't happen to any specific file type.

Has anyone experienced similar or have any solutions for extracting without retrieving everything in the fault?

H

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

FSAUtility in EV9 at least will do this fine

In this circumstance you would use the -f option, so it will only restore files where the placeholder exists, if the file or placeholder hasn't been deleted, FSAUtility will not restore it

Parameters for -t (Restore original files)
-s <UNC path>         UNC path name of source folder, volume or fileserver
-e <ext list>         Optional. List of file types to restore.
                      Specify as comma separated list of file extensions,
                      for example: *.xls,*.doc,*.txt. Default is all file types: *.*
-d <UNC path>         Optional. Destination folder, volume or fileserver for restored files
-D <mm-dd-yyyy>       Optional. Only restore files archived after this date
-f                    Optional. Overwrite existing files and placeholders when names match.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JesusWept3
Level 6

FSAUtility in EV9 at least will do this fine

In this circumstance you would use the -f option, so it will only restore files where the placeholder exists, if the file or placeholder hasn't been deleted, FSAUtility will not restore it

Parameters for -t (Restore original files)
-s <UNC path>         UNC path name of source folder, volume or fileserver
-e <ext list>         Optional. List of file types to restore.
                      Specify as comma separated list of file extensions,
                      for example: *.xls,*.doc,*.txt. Default is all file types: *.*
-d <UNC path>         Optional. Destination folder, volume or fileserver for restored files
-D <mm-dd-yyyy>       Optional. Only restore files archived after this date
-f                    Optional. Overwrite existing files and placeholders when names match.

JesusWept3
Level 6

so just for clarification the syntax would be

fsautility -t -s \\fileServer\myShare\ -f

Haydn1
Level 2

Many thanks for that JesusWept2. I have just completed a test folder with the -f option and it has worked faultlessly