cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSA Archiving error 40981 (folder attributes)

JuanAntonio
Level 5

Hi all,

I'm using EV 9.0.3 for archiving Exchange and FSA.

I'm archiving data from 2 file servers. They are 2 filers NetApp Appliances running Data ONTAP Release 7.2.7. One of them is a FAS270 and the other one is FAS250. I have no problems archiving data with the first one, but when I archive data in the second one I always got a lot of 40981 errors. This error says something like this:

"The folder attributes for the folder: \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\RH - Recursos Humanos\RHIT - Information Technologies\Infraestructura\Soporte\Impresion\7.- Información de Apoyo\WEB JETADMIN could not be accessed as access was denied.

This folder and its subfolders will be excluded from archiving"

But if I take a look at the folder permissions everything is fine. The user evadmin is part of Domain Admins and has full control for all the folders. So, this can't be the problem (I guess).

Any idea of what am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot in advanced.

Juan Antonio.

10 REPLIES 10

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

maybe look at Procmon on the EV Server archiving that file share and see where the Deny is coming from

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

If you archive from exchange as well as FSA, on the e-mail archiving side the evadmin (VSA) should not be member of Domain Admins. This has nothing to do with the FSA issue you are reporting and is just a remark.

'evadmin' should be a member of the built-in Administrators group on each filer.

Are you able to archive some data corectly from some folders on the 'problem' filer?

I would suggest you to add a test CIFS share as a Volume target in the VAC to run some tests and use dtrace during archiving while using a new test FSA Archiving Task so you can monitor the processing of this test file system structure with dtrace in an isolated manner.

Under the new test CIFS share create a folder structure with some dummy files (no production) and allow evadmin to have permissions. Then enable verbose dtrace on EvFsaArchivingTask only and output to a log file. Run the normal archiving run and let's see what happens

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

If you are using ONTAP 7.2.x while it is supported, the legacy API methods would be used. Should be no diffference whether you use FAS270 or FAS250.

JuanAntonio
Level 5

Thanks Rob.

The user evadmin is also member of  built-in Administrators group on each filer. I'll check why it's member of Domain Admins too. May this be a problem or it's just a recommended prectice?

I can archive correctly some folders on the "problem filer". All of the folders there have the same permissions, but some of them are archived without problems and some of them not (error 40981). If I run the task in report mode I get no errors, only in normal mode.

I'll try with dtrace and a test CIFS share as you suggest and see what happen.

Regards.

Juan A.

JuanAntonio
Level 5

Hello again,

I have use dtrace butI can't see any clue about what is happening. Just the same error there.

What I don't understand is why I get the error  about wrong folder permissions only when I archive in normal mode, not in report mode. The error should be the same as it has to access the folders anyway.

Any ideas?

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

Hola JuanAntonio

To answer your question I originally posted following comment with regard to Domain Admin:  "This has nothing to do with the FSA issue you are reporting and is just a remark."

I presume report mode may work because the Task is just dealing with the metadata to determine if the file is eligible based on the Archiving Policy, whereas the active archiving will access the actual file content.

Having VSA in built-in Administrators will allow expected access and operations, however, if the folders have had the permissions manipulated based on AD / NTFS permissions to restict access it may explain.

I would suggest you to add the VSA explicitly to one of the folders that return the error and re-run the Task.

As JesusWept3 suggested ProcMon may help with the investigation.

JuanAntonio
Level 5

Thanks Rob.

I'll try with ProcMon (I have never used it but I'll see).

Another question: is there any limitation regarding the path lenght that EV can manage to access a file or folder?

Rob_Brenner
Level 5
Employee

We have had issues in previous versions when archiving or retrieving content that is stored beyong the limit imposed by the Windows file system of 256 characters. Windows explorer will not allow users to create content beyond this limit. In other platforms it is possible to extend this limit.

These issues have been addressed in previous versions and in 9.0.x / 10.0.x you should have no problems with paths greater than 256 characters.

EV functionality is capable of processing items within much greater path depths.

JuanAntonio
Level 5

Hello again,

Back with my problem.

1.- I have created a new folder under the same CIFS share (not a new CIFS share). I have configure it as an Archive Point and put some files inside. EV can archive this new folder successfully with no errors.

2.- evadmin has been assign explicit permissions (full control) over one of the folders and I still get the same errors.

3.- This is what I see in DTRACE regarding one of the folders with archiving problems (I can see some 2 and 112 errors, does it has any sense to you?):

3510 EV-M {FileSystemFolderWalker.ProcessFolder} Folder: \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY, currentRootFolder: \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development
3511 EV-L {FileSystemArchivingCheckPoint.SkipFolderProcess} Folder to be checked for FSA checkpoint skipping : \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY
3565 EV-M {NTFSStream.Load} Opening NTFS stream: \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY:EVArchivePoint.xml Err: 2
3578 EV-H {Folder.CheckIfFolderIsAnArchivePoint} folderName : \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY
3579 EV-M {NTFSStream.Load} Opening NTFS stream: \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY:EVArchivePoint.xml Err: 2
3580 EV-L {Folder.IsMarkedAsRootFolder} Checking if folder: \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY is  marked as a Root Folder
3581 EV-M {NTFSStream.Load} Opening NTFS stream: \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY:EVFolderPoint.xml Err: 2
3582 EV-L {Folder.IsMarkedAsRootFolder} The folder: \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY is NOT marked as a Root Folder
3583 EV-M {FileSystemFolderWalker.ProcessFolder} Queueing folder: \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY for processing
3584 EV-L {FileSystemArchivingCheckPoint.CheckIfLastRunWalkedFolderCrossed} On volume \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$, we have just reached the volume's last walked folder \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY
3585 EV-L {FileSystemFolderWalker.ProcessFolder} On volume 19CDE913A13481645B66FDEB2F82079F11011000evserver1, enqueueing folder \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY for archiving
3586 EV-L {FileSystemArchivingCheckPoint.CheckIfVolumeFullyWalkedInLastRun} Volume \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$ was partially walked/never walked in one of the last runs
3587 EV-L {FileSystemArchivingCheckPoint.AddFolderToPartiallyWalkedVolumeInfoList} On volume \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$, add folder \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY to partially walked volume list
3588 EV-L {FileSystemArchivingCheckPoint.AddFolderToPartiallyWalkedVolumeInfoList} Volume \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$ entry existed in the partially walked volume list with the last folder walked as \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY. So it was updated
3589 EV-L {FileSystemArchivingCheckPoint.AddFolderToFolderWorkItemsPartiallyProcessedList} Added the folder \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY to the partially processed folder list
3598 EV-L {FileSystemItemProcessor.ProcessFolder} Processing folder: \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY
3601 EV-L {FileSystemArchivingCheckPoint.ReachedLastProcessedFileInFolderFromLastRun} In folder \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY, we have reached the file processed in the last run \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY\PIP-XXXXXv3-6.doc
3602 EV-L {Folder.CheckAndSynchroniseArchiveFolder} Synchronising folder: \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY
3603 EV-M {NTFSStream.Load} Opening NTFS stream: \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY:EVFolderPoint.xml Err: 2
3604 EV-L {Folder.GetArchiveFolder} Creating a new ArchiveFolder for folder: \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY
4112 EV-L {Folder.GetArchiveFolder} Created a new ArchiveFolder for folder: \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY, ArchiveVEID: 159D145D1E0FA8146BAB072B0C77A47D01110000evserver1
4118 EV-M {DirectoryDataset.GetEntryInfo} EntryId: 159D145D1E0FA8146BAB072B0C77A47D01110000evserver1 Name: YYYYY
4155 EV-M {Folder.CheckAndSynchroniseArchiveFolder} Created a new Archive folder path for the folder: \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY, ArchiveFolderVEID: 159D145D1E0FA8146BAB072B0C77A47D01110000evserver1
4166 EV-L {FolderAttributes.Save} EVFOLDERPOINT: Trying to save folder point xml on folder path: '\\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY'
4169 EV-M {NTFSStream.Save} Creating NTFS stream: \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY:EVFolderPoint.xml Err: 112
4170 EV-L {FolderAttributes.Save} EVFOLDERPOINT: Trying to write folder point xml from memory stream to ADS on folder path: 1\\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY'
4172 EV-M {NTFSStream.Save} Creating NTFS stream: \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY:EVFolderPoint.xml Err: 112
4173 EV~E |Event ID: 40981 The folder attributes for the folder: \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY could not be accessed as access was denied.|This folder and its subfolders will be excluded from archiving|See the Administrator Help for more information.
4284 EV-H {FileSystemWalker.Walk} Exception: Error loading file stream: \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY:EVFolderPoint.xml, error code: 112 Info:Error listing files for the directory \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY Diag: Type:System.UnauthorizedAccessException ST:   at KVS.EnterpriseVault.Common.NTFSStream.Save(String filePath, Stream data, UInt32 flagsAndAttributes)|   at KVS.EnterpriseVault.FileServerArchive.FolderAttributes.Save()|   at KVS.EnterpriseVault.FileServerArchive.Folder.CheckAndSynchroniseArchiveFolder(VaultDirectoryInfo folder, Volume volume, FolderArchivePointAttributes fapa, SyncMode syncMode, IFolderPermSyncWrapper folderSyncWrapper)|   at KVS.EnterpriseVault.FileSystemArchivingTask.FileSystemItemProcessor.ProcessFile(VaultFileInfo fileInfo)|   at KVS.EnterpriseVault.FileServerArchive.FileSystemWalker.Walk(ServerControlEvents ce, VaultDirectoryInfo directory, Boolean ignoreSubFolders, Object parentAttrs)
4289 EV-L {Folder.CheckAndSynchroniseArchiveFolder} Synchronising folder: \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY
4455 EV-M {NTFSStream.Load} Opening NTFS stream: \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY:EVFolderPoint.xml Err: 2
4456 EV-L {Folder.CheckAndSynchroniseArchiveFolder} Synchronised folder: \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY
4457 EV-L {FileSystemArchivingCheckPoint.RemoveFolderFromFolderWorkItemsPartiallyProcessedList} Request to remove folder \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY from the partially processed folder list
4458 EV-L {FileSystemArchivingCheckPoint.RemoveFolderFromFolderWorkItemsPartiallyProcessedList} Removing folder \\?\UNC\svr-fls-04-1.colmenar.pharmamar.org\datos$\departamentos\BD - Business Development\Compounds PharmaMar\XXXXX\YYYYY from the partially processed folder list

Thanks in advanced.

JuanAntonio
Level 5

Just another question:

Is there a way to restore a complete archive (folder) as you can do with the "export to the original mailbox" option for Exchange?