cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSA - Server reboot

James_Woodcock
Level 2
Hi All,

This is a clean site doing a new install of EV from scratch.

We are midway through an installatiojn of EV 6.0 SP2 however when we can to install FSA on to our Windows 2000 SP4'd file server we had problems. The server blue screened and rebooted itself throughout the night (after about an hour of uptime) and did this till the next morning. When I came in the next morning we could access files on the file server whilst it was up but when it came to saving them the server crashed.

I removed the FSA placeholder service and the server is working normally.

The file server does have McAffee a/v on it as well as double take. We cannot remove double-take as its there for a reason. Any other ideas as to what we can do to get it working? - needless to say its a production server so it really cannot be messed around with.

We did install double-take and FSA on another Windows 2000 server SP4 and could not replicate the problem however the other server does not have near as many files on as the production server (100 files on the test - 800,000 on the live).

We do have the memory dump file but that doesn't give us any clear indication of what caused the crash.

Cheers

James
6 REPLIES 6

Tremaine
Level 6
Employee Certified
Hi James

Please send your memory dump to support and request them to escalate this issue asap. There are known compatibility issues with other vendors who also use filter drivers and as such it would be really useful if you can involve them in this as well.

One question though is: Do also have McAffee a/v on the test server that works? Also are all your systems running the latest versions of the different products (especially their filter drivers)

Thanks

Pending_Shortcu
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi guys, I'm also seeing this with V7 SP1 - same situation - Running FSA placeholder service on a server also running DoubleTake and McAfee.  Box kept rebooting until the placeholder service was stopped.  The customer spoke with NSI support (for DT) and they were unaware of any issues with EV.  Are there any workarounds to getting both the placeholder service and DT both running on the same box?  And would it be of any help to remove McAfee?

Thanks

D

Peter_Ayoun
Level 4
Partner
I had the same issue at a customer site with McAfee AV installed on the File server. I then make the exclude correctly on all %Program Files%\Enterprise Vault where the Place holder is located and no more BSOD.

In general the McAfee AV cause several problems with EV, even with mailbox archiving , you should exclude all the relevant directories to prevent any problems.
But as it was said you would better open a ticket at support and upload them the dump file to be analyzed.

Peter

Pending_Shortcu
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Thanks Peter..just to clarify, you were seeing the server rebooting on its own, or just BSOD'ing and stopping?  Was the customer using DoubleTake?

Peter_Ayoun
Level 4
Partner
It depends how you configure your server. it's better to set to not to restart automatically  and give a full kernel memory dump.
The doubleTake was not there.

Peter

Pending_Shortcu
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Ok, thanks