cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSA performance question

ermanu312
Level 3
Hello,
We're testing FSA in our environment. The configuration is almost default.
We're trying to archive all in a 10 GB data folder (mixed pdf's and docs)
It took 90 minutes to complete all. But when we check the server there seems to be no bottleneck on CPU or memory.
The server is an HP DL580 G5 with 4 quadcore cpus the memory is 12 GB.
How can we use this server more effectively?
Thank you
Erman

8 REPLIES 8

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
You said there is no bottleneck on CPU or memory

Sounds like you have everything running perfectly so whats the issue?

ermanu312
Level 3
We want it to use more effectively.
Why it's archiving 10 GB in 90 minutes where the CPU is 10% and the available memory is more than its half. 
Is there a way to archive  10 GB 13000 files in 10 minutes for example?
Thank you

ermanu312
Level 3
Note: The network between the server and client is 1 Gbit

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
I still believe you are doing very well as it is.

Not sure if everyone here will agree but you may try increasing the number of Archive processes that the Storage service can run. The default is 5.

Be very careful making these changes because they can add a lot of overhead on the system.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

The Storage Service you are talking about is not involved when storing items with FSA so the '5' setting does not apply in this case.  I'm pretty sure that by default FSA has 10 threads storing items, per volume.

ermanu312
Level 3
Hello,
we want to archive 10 TB of data with FSA. With these test rsults we can see that it will take weeks while it seems that we have more capacity on the server. Why don't use the full capacity and have the job completed less than a week?
Thank you
Erman

sleddog
Level 5
Partner
The only way to improve performance that I am aware of (but the dodo knows for sure) is to add an additional EV server. This will make you have to create and additional Vault Store (storage servive) The best performance you will get is ~ 40K items with an average item size of 70KB.  (assuming you want to index that data,)

sleddog
Level 5
Partner
That's on a quad-processor box, dual-porcessor is 25K items/hr