cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSA placeholders for graphics files

lbeldean
Level 2
Employee Accredited Certified
IHAC who is in the insurance industry and needs to store thousands of JPEG files for claims processing.  They really need to use thumbnails to review many photo items quickly.  This is impossible once items are archived.   It appears that most thumbnail creation applications would probably cause mass retrieval issues as well.  Is there any application that we know of that is "EV friendly" that would allow customers to see thumbnails of JPEG items in the archive without retrieving every item they need to browse through?

Is there anything on the roadmap for development of EV that will handle this?  Since EV has to interpret files (with Stellent) and create the HTML representation when they are archived, it seems like a logical step to add a thumnail creator and provide a thumbnail option as part of the file stub options for that file type.  I may be over-simplifying this, but I think it will increasingly become an issue for EV FSA users and possibly e-discovery users.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi

I think this was not done before, and is not possible right now.
Every application would have to recall the Item to create a thumbnail.

As you are a Symantec Employee, I'd suggest you go directly to the Engineering team / Product Management and file it as an enhancement.

Cheers
Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MichelZ
Level 6
Hi

I think this was not done before, and is not possible right now.
Every application would have to recall the Item to create a thumbnail.

As you are a Symantec Employee, I'd suggest you go directly to the Engineering team / Product Management and file it as an enhancement.

Cheers
Michel

Daniel_R_
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hi Ibeldean,

I think that you should archive only image files not accessed frecuently.

Regards,

Dany R

Junior_B
Level 4
Do they access the JPEGs via a front end application? We archive a lot of images, however the Medical Application that we use creates the thumbnail when the image is created and we only archive the full image as the thumbnails are small enough not to be a concern. I'm sure some smart programming type could create something like that.

MichelZ
Level 6
Good Point Junior B.

You just have to make sure that thumbs are created before archiving, and not to archive those thumbs.
Unfortunately, you still have to recall all the archived jpeg's to do this.

Cheers
Michel