cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSA task hangs before starting to archive

Poly
Level 3

Archive task is set to start every evening at 21:00.

the Event Viewer shows at exactly 21:00 : Starting to process task: File System Archiving Task.

If I check the Archiving log I see the the first archive has started at 22:30.

Sometimes it starts immediately, sometimes after 40 minutes and sometimes after 2 hours.

Any ideas?

EV version 7.5 + SP3

Poly

5 REPLIES 5

Poly
Level 3
anybody? some thing to start with?

Poly
Level 3

Anyone?

Anything?

A_Z_rcher
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Poly

I assoume that you have a huge volume (drive) and you are just archiving some subfolders, right?

In some situation FSA is scanning the hole drive even if you just want to archive some subfolder...

Do a dtrace, then you can see what happens exactly.

MarkB_2
Level 4
At the start of each FSA task it performs a synchronisation which can take a very long time. If there are any errors, EV will report these in the event log.....

Junior_B
Level 4

There is a fair bit of pre-processing it goes through, especially if you have a lot of archiving rules, eg;

Do not Archive XXXX

Archive XXXY and XXXZ.

Do not archive anything smaller than XX

We have one Archive that required us to have a lot of exclusions due to the fact the files we are archiving do not have an extension. When we re-configured the rules in a smarter and simpler way to get the same result, the pre-proccessing time dropped a lot.

We have a 2TB LUN we archive and the archiving starts about 4 hours after the task starts. I have just timed it accordingly, so I start it a couple of hours earlier than the smaller archive jobs.