cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FSAReportingUser not created in any EV database

Andy_Wragg_-_BT
Level 4
Partner Accredited
I'm trying to use the FSA reporting feature (EV2007) but I'm getting lots of errors in EV and SQL2005 to the effect that the FSAReportingUser cant login. On investigation this SQL user doesnt exist.

The Admin guide says this user should be created automatically. This would not appear to be the case.

Anyone any experience of this problem. Can the user be created manually within SQL? 
4 REPLIES 4

Andy_Wragg_-_BT
Level 4
Partner Accredited
In addition, I have reviewed the Technote referenced in the I&C guide, which describes the use of the FSAReportingConfigUtility to manually configure this feature. This use of this utility is documented but the version that I have doesn't match the document. The document refers to Service Pack 1 for EV2007 which as far as I am aware doesnt exist yet.

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Is this the error you are seeing?

Event Type:       Error

Event Source:    Enterprise Vault

Event Category: None

Event ID:           40966

Date:                02.08.2007

Time:                15:54:29

User:                N/A

Computer:         DES00256

Description:

A program fault has raised an exception.

Exception: Login failed for user 'FSAReportingUser'. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.

Diagnostic: Num:18452 State:1 Sev:14 Svr:DES00261.grtgroup.com Proc: Line:65536

Type: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException

Reference: FSAReportingWebService - GetConfigurationParameters failed

If so try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555332

Regards,
Tony

Andy_Wragg_-_BT
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Tony thanks for your reply,

The errors I am seeing are not like the one you have posted. Initially the errors indicated that the FSAReportingUser did not exist. On examination I discovered that the user did not exist in SQL, so I manually created a new windows user and added a SQL login with rights to access the FSAR database. However I dont think this will work either as there are no tables in the EnterpriseVaultFSAReporting database other than the system tables.
I've tried to remove the database (having first taken a backup) and rerun the FSARconfigutility but this fails whichever way I switch it (Create/reuse/recreate).
As I've also got a bigger problem with SSRS2005 which is taking most of my attention this is a secondary priority.

ggeorgi
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Hi,

I am having almost the same problem.... And I say almost because in my case the EnterpriseVaultFSAReporting database is created with 19 tables inside but no user FSAReportingAgent was created... before I tell you anything else, I tried to switch to mixed mode authentication and created a user with username FSAReportingUser....The error message is exactly the same but I have to tell you how I found the problem:

I tried to install the FSA agent to a file server. After intalling it, i saw the "Enable Data Collection" or Disable Data Collection" menu. I choose to enable the data collection and when I clicked next, I received an error box "Unspecified error" !!!!!!
I thought that this has to do with the SQL server. I checked the Event Viewer in the SQL and I saw the error message: " Login failed for user 'FSAReportingUser'. [CLIENT: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]".
Which means that while I tried to enable the Data Collection, the EV server tries to login to SQL server using the username FSAReportingUser. I have to tell that I have no idea using and configuring SQL Servers. Searching in forums, sites etc.,  I found that  if  you  check  the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG\errorlog file you see

Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 8.
Login failed for user 'FSAReportingUser'. [CLIENT: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]

I tried several solutions regarding the SQL server but nothing happened. So I am asking this:

If during the installation of the EV Reporting in the SQL (SQL 2005 in my case) there was no creation of the FSAReportingUser, how can we know the correct password to create this user as an SQL user? Obviously there is a predifined user inside the EV with username: FSAReportingUser and an unknown to us password.

Can anyone from Symantec, tell me the password for this user, so I can configure the user I created with this password and make my installation work?