cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Archiving Strategy

LilmanHSU
Level 3

All,

We currently have EV Version 10 and next year we plan to ugprade to version 11.  Right now we are only using EV for Email archiving, however I am proposing we take a really hard look at file archiving as well.

Our fleet is about 75% Windows and 25% Mac who all access files across NetAPP CIFS Shares or the occasional windows volume.

1. Can EV do file based archiving on CIFS Shares (I know it can on Windows File Servers)

2. Can we use EV for file based archiving in the cloud?  Meaning that lets say I create something on my peresonal directory.  After 1 year, it stubs and goes to our cheaper slower storage and after year 2 it goes to the cloud and remains there forever.

3. Can Mac's use the stub feature?  I saw that Grouplogic has a plugin.  Has anyone had any luck with that?

Our goal here is to reduce our tape backup capcity to only what is considered current and relevant and ignore the rest. (Let EV deal with it)

Any thoughts or strategy's anyone can share?

Thanks

Paul

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

1. yes, EV can archive directly from NetApp filers. have a look at the compatibility guide for OnTap verion support, Cmode, etc.

2. yes. within EV you can choose to move archived data to a cloud storage provider. EV has support for quite a few of them.

3. i've also heard about that plugin but i haven't seen it in action.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AndrewB

1. yes, EV can archive directly from NetApp filers. have a look at the compatibility guide for OnTap verion support, Cmode, etc.

2. yes. within EV you can choose to move archived data to a cloud storage provider. EV has support for quite a few of them.

3. i've also heard about that plugin but i haven't seen it in action.

LilmanHSU
Level 3

Thanks Andrew.

Anyone out there currently using this solution?  How does it work, good, bad etc?

AndrewB

there doesnt seem to be much about it on the forums either. i checked with one of my colleagues and he mostly remembers it being very expensive but couldnt speak to it's functionality.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/search/apachesolr_search/grouplogic?filters=type%3Asc_forum%20tid%3A49271

LilmanHSU
Level 3

Thanks!  Do you use File Archiving (PC?)  Does it work well for you? Is it easy and transparent?

AndrewB

oh yea absolutely i've used it as a customer and now as a partner lots of our customers use it including some of the biggest companies in the US across many different industries