cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File Server Migration

Mike_Lawler
Level 4
I need to start this discussion out with this warning....I've very new to EV due to reductions in work force...so you can equate that very new to EV to meaning the same thing as 'I know next to nothing about'.

Now that the warning is out of the way...

We are in the process of consolidating servers, we have two older file servers that we are moving to one new server.  Both of the older servers are archived with FSA.

I contacted the EV support team and they informed me that i'll need to use the FSAutility (fsautility -m -s <source> -d <destination>) to move the pointers from A to B, after I do that I can restore the unarchived data however I like.

That comes to be my problem!

I'm using Netbackup (6.5.3) to do my backups, my original thought was to use the fsautility to move all of the archive points and then use NBU to restore everything else with the 'do not overwrite' option for files that are already there.  The problem is when you restore to a new server it sees everything as a file (folders included) so it won't restore anything.

I can't be the only person out there to have to have done a file server migration, so, how do other people go about doing this?
3 REPLIES 3

Maverik
Level 6
In my experience people tend to do one of the following. 1. Recall all data using fsautility or scanning data with av etc. You would need to set reg keys to allow mass recalls for av scan option. Copy data and archive again in new location. 2. Move placeholders using fsautility. 3. Backup and restore however you need to certain alternate data streams are restored and your backup product does this. Simplest way is test. 4. Use robocopy which will recall and move data. Againyou will need to allow mass recalls via reg keys.

Shaggy2002
Level 3
I had to do the same thing and this is what I did.

1.  Used Robocopy Gui with the Switch to move all files except any offline files.
2.  Used FSAutility (fsautility -m -s <source> -d <destination>)

Maverik
Level 6
Hi do you need any more help with this.  If not please mark as solved.