cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flags not appearing in Virtual Vault

Gerald_2
Level 4

We have recently enabled Virtual Vault for a group of test users. Our normal policy is to remove shortcuts after 13 months. For the Virtual Vault users we elected to not have any shortcuts. But we have noticed that flagged messages in Outlook are not flagged in Virtual Vault. If I look at these items in Archive Explorer the flags are there. Why do these flags not sync to the Virtual Vault? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I noticed the same behavior
If i flag an item, then drag it to virtual vault, it shows in the VV as having a flag
As soon as i synchronize it, the flag disappears.

I think this is most likely an oversight or at a stretch by design.
Typically the virtual vault view is based off of small elements that an email contains.
So the way the that the virtual vault is it has the following

The MetaData Cache
This is a file called <archiveID>.mdc and is in reality just a regular PST File.
It contains each item and the folder structure that your archive contains and it has all the messages minus attachments and other things to keep the size small.

The MDC file is connected to your outlook profile, and contains information as to which message is stored in which DB File.

The Content Cache
These are several files called YYYY_MM_DD_id.DB
These again are regular PST Files that are built on the Enterprise Vault Server and then each PST file is downloaded in the background via BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service), the DB files contain the physical emails including attachments and are only called up on when the client gets a request to retrieve a full item.

The DB files have a date on them, so for instance i have

2009_07_09_0014.db
2009_07_29_0015.db

So there for i can assume if i had an email sent on July10th 2009, it would be in the 2009_07_09 DB file, same for anything up until the 29th July, to which point i would assume its in the 2009_07_28 DB file.

Now the reason why i say i think it could be by design is that to keep the MDC small and quick to load, is that the fewer email elements you keep, the smaller you can keep the msg files in that PST and over all in the MDC.

It could also be by design for the fact that EV doesn't allow for messages to be modified, you cannot edit an item and then have that item and save it in the vault, so if it *did* show the flag, and then you unmarked the flag, you might have the opposite scenario as to where the flags stay.

in most cases people use flags temporarily and tkaem off after a short while

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I noticed the same behavior
If i flag an item, then drag it to virtual vault, it shows in the VV as having a flag
As soon as i synchronize it, the flag disappears.

I think this is most likely an oversight or at a stretch by design.
Typically the virtual vault view is based off of small elements that an email contains.
So the way the that the virtual vault is it has the following

The MetaData Cache
This is a file called <archiveID>.mdc and is in reality just a regular PST File.
It contains each item and the folder structure that your archive contains and it has all the messages minus attachments and other things to keep the size small.

The MDC file is connected to your outlook profile, and contains information as to which message is stored in which DB File.

The Content Cache
These are several files called YYYY_MM_DD_id.DB
These again are regular PST Files that are built on the Enterprise Vault Server and then each PST file is downloaded in the background via BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service), the DB files contain the physical emails including attachments and are only called up on when the client gets a request to retrieve a full item.

The DB files have a date on them, so for instance i have

2009_07_09_0014.db
2009_07_29_0015.db

So there for i can assume if i had an email sent on July10th 2009, it would be in the 2009_07_09 DB file, same for anything up until the 29th July, to which point i would assume its in the 2009_07_28 DB file.

Now the reason why i say i think it could be by design is that to keep the MDC small and quick to load, is that the fewer email elements you keep, the smaller you can keep the msg files in that PST and over all in the MDC.

It could also be by design for the fact that EV doesn't allow for messages to be modified, you cannot edit an item and then have that item and save it in the vault, so if it *did* show the flag, and then you unmarked the flag, you might have the opposite scenario as to where the flags stay.

in most cases people use flags temporarily and tkaem off after a short while

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146