cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From one to multiple rentention policies...?

jprknight-oldax
Level 6

This may be a noob question, however I am struggling right now to fully research this topic, and hopefully someone out there happens to know the answer. So here goes.

In our organisation we have implemented one rentention policy when EV was put in. Simply put no rentention policy decision was made by our business so the policy keeps everything forever.

We are now beginning to see the storage implications of pretending we have a bottomless pit for email archive data. It seems the business would now like to implement different rentention policies rather than pay out for extra storage.

The question I need answering is thus: We have one rentention policy, and when users archive messages they get one option as below. If we setup multiple rentention policies say one for 6 months, 12 months, 3 years, 7 years, and forever; is it then possible for the user to select the retention policy at the time of manually archiving messages? And for the default to be forever so if they neglect to select an option their email is never removed from the vault?

Thanks for any help,

Jeremy.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Jeremy,
You will need to unlock the setting for Retention period in the Site Properties and then users will be able to select the appropriate Retention Category.  I believe the Default Retention is set on on the Site Properties as well.

You could consider setting up Retention Folders in the mailbox with different retention categories and let users drag and drop archived items so that they can be updated.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi Jeremy,
You will need to unlock the setting for Retention period in the Site Properties and then users will be able to select the appropriate Retention Category.  I believe the Default Retention is set on on the Site Properties as well.

You could consider setting up Retention Folders in the mailbox with different retention categories and let users drag and drop archived items so that they can be updated.

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
yup, you can ut in multiple retention categories, but you are going to have to remove the locks from the policy so they will be able to override this
and whats more in EV8 you can have them change the retention category of an entire folder or individual items and have EV8 run the update retention per the policy too
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

pipped to the post by tony yet again :)

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

jprknight-oldax
Level 6

Thanks guys.