cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting archived emails programmatically

Devansh
Level 3

Hi,

I am willing to get emails which have been archived by enterprise vault, programatically and also want to archive emails with the help of Enterprise Vault programmatically. Is it possible? If yes then how?

I am using VC++.

If there is no way available to get back the original email which has been archived by Enterprise Vault programmatically with the help of Enterprise Vault itself then is there a way this can be done otherwise? I mean is there any API or anything available which can help me to get original email back from archived state?

I hope my query is clear, if not then kindly let me know, I will eloborate further. 

With Regards,

Devansh

9 REPLIES 9

Peter_Kozak
Level 5
Partner

Hi Devansh,

yes you can use the EV API. Take a look at: EVContentManagementAPI.dll

You might want to ask SYMC for the EV2007_API_Reference...

Cheers and merry xmas

Peter

Devansh
Level 3

Thanks Peter!

Could you give me some more information on EVContentManagementAPI.dll?

Where can I find it and how it is used? Is there any documentation which I can use to learn how to use it?

I tried google to find more informaiton about this DLL but I could not find any relevant link to it. Could you kindly eloborate more on it?

it would be really a great help.

With Regards,

Devansh

Peter_Kozak
Level 5
Partner

Just download EV2007 and extract the ZIP File.

You should have a folder called: Enterprise Vault 2007 SP4 API Runtime

There you should find anything you need for programming...

I'm not sure if the API Guide is public. It might be a good idea to ask SYMC for this....

Cheers

Peter

Hovanes_Manucha
Level 2

As Peter mentioned, the EV Content Management API would allow you to do what you want.

If you already know the VaultID/ArchiveID of your message, you can also construct a BrowserViewURL and get your item via HTTP.

Devansh
Level 3

First of all Thanks to all.

I have following questions, kindly help me with them:-

1. I extracted the required EXE and got the required DLLs. It contains  "EV Content Management API" in it, but I do not know how to use it. I could not find any documentation to use it. I am using Enterprise Vault integrated with Outlook 2007 and willing to retrieve emails from it. 

2. As you suggested I can get email item through HTTP if I have VaultID/ArchiveID, but I am sorry to say I am new in this area so I could not really understand what you are talking about. If possible then Kindly help me with some dicumentation or something similar. 

Thanks in advance.

With Regards,

Devansh

Peter_Kozak
Level 5
Partner

Devansh,

as i know the documentation for the API is not Public. You have to ask Symantec for it!

What are you exactly trying to do? Do you want to recall some Shortcuts? The needed Properties for Recalling (SSID and ArchiveID) are stored as MAPI Properties.

Grab a copy of "Outlook Spy" from the web and take a look to the MAPI Properties of a Shortcut.

If you don't have any knowledge of the workflow of EnterpriseVault it is very difficult to develop...

Cheers

Peter

Devansh
Level 3

Peter,

Yes, I want to get the original message from shortcut first and then need to process it, programmatically. The only problem is to retrieve the original email. I do not want to convert the original email as "unarchived" i.e. I do not want to restore the email, I just want a copy the original email to get back.  Once that is done I will be able to do my work.

As you said SSID and ArchiveID are stored in shortcut itself, so does that imply that with the help of this information (SSID and ArchiveID) I can get back the original email without using Enterprise Vault Content Management API? Is it possible? If  yes then kindly let me know how can I do it.

Any help in this regard will be extremely appriciated.

With Regards,

Devansh

Peter_Kozak
Level 5
Partner

Devansh,

i think you won't need the API.

First try to get the needed Properties. Figure out the DASL Property String with the Help of Outlook Spy.

Next take a look on the enterprise vault server. Look at the webapp directory and inspect the searcho2k or the ArchiveExplorerUI ASP Files. This Files are plain ASP Files so you should be able to see the Source Code. (There are also some usefull comments from the EV Developers... ;-)) I'm sure you should be able to figure out, how to call the webservice.

Sorry that i can not be more concrete, but the Informations are under NDA....

Cheers and happy coding

Peter

Devansh
Level 3

I came to know that I can get desired archived Email through HTTP too. I have access to my Enterprise Vault Server. Could anybody help me with retrieving emails programmatically from Enterprise Vault Server given I have the attributes from the shortcut which may be required in retreival of a particular email, like SSID or ArchiveID etc?

Kindly help me if possible.

With Regards,

Devansh