cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going to failover Exchange to new servers tomorrow - will Vault be OK?

James_Slack
Level 6

Hi,

I am going to be using double-take to fail exchnge from SITE1 to SITE2 tomorrow.

The physical servers will change but the exchange virtual servers will remain the same.

There will still be communication to the Vault server.

Aside from running the OWA scripts, do I need to make any changes?

Cheers

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

James_Slack
Level 6

OK, I have worked out what is going on here at last.

The control files will not copy over on install on the FE boxes.

Noticed the "copy of control folders installed by enterprise vault" were missing under some of the numbered folders (SP2) in Exchweb.

Did and uninstall and tried a reinstall but got an error about being unable to copy the control files this time.

Now, to get it working continuing the install will work if you then copy over the files manually, but I will wait to see if Symantec have a solution for me.

I'll post back any findings.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

James_Slack
Level 6

Edit... just found the ExchangeServers file... need to add the IPs to that.

Does it automatically update the servers when I run the OWA script?

James_Slack
Level 6

Forgot the usual info: Server 2003, Vault 7.5, Exchange 2003.

WiTSend
Level 6
Partner

Yes, when you run the script it will update the servers with the new IP info.  You should not have to do anything else since your references to Exchange in EV are using the virtual names.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

restart admin-service to restart other services. check eventlog to be sure the change is picked up.

Regards. Gertjan

James_Slack
Level 6

Thanks for the heads up.

I have ran the script (just on the Vault server, that's correct, right?)

I have installed the program (backend) on the backends. Ran the scripts

I have installed the program (frontend) on the frontends. Ran the scripts

It just doesnt work over OWA. I get page cannoty be found (404).

Outlook is working fine for me, very quick, but not OWA.

What is weird is that over the web, my archived items do not have the correct icons - just normal mail icons. When I log onto the back end server directly and use IIS and launch /exchange, I can login and see the correct icons on my vaulted items. But when I try and open them I am asked to authenticate again - then I get "The Webpage Cannot be found" page and no email.

If anyone has anything to try or can advise me which logs to look at, that would be great.

Many thanks

James

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

if its showing Web Page Cannot Be Found this would tend to suggest that the EVAnon directory does not exist on the EV Servers its targeting

As for missing icons on the emails themselves this tends to suggest form registration issues, but you would normally see that on the backend as well

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

James_Slack
Level 6

Thanks for the quick reply - any ideas what I can do to test / check this please?

James_Slack
Level 6

Anyone got any tips for me please?

James_Slack
Level 6

Nothing  :(

I have ran through the Installing and Configuring CHM and done what it says again, to make sure it is all OK. Still the same issue.

Check exchangeservers.txt, reran the OWAusers script.

Rechecked the BE servers EVservers.txt file and reran the OWA scripts

Reran the OWA scripts on the FE boxes.

Still the same.

Really stuck... will be a call to Symantec on Monday if I can't find anything to try.

Cheers

James_Slack
Level 6

I forgot to mention, this is not working straight off the back end, let alone over the front ends / ISA.

I see this in the back end log:

01/10/2010 17:08:11 : Debug   : ConfigurePublicFolderInfoStore       : Registering for : CN=PUBLICFOLDERMAIL01,CN=MAIL01-SG1,CN=InformationStore,CN=LHR-MAIL01,CN=Servers,CN=MENZIES-AG,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=MENZIES,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=menzies,DC=net
01/10/2010 17:08:11 : Debug   : ConfigurePublicFolderInfoStore       : Public folder LDAP query: <LDAP://CN=MENZIES-AG,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=MENZIES,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=menzies,DC=net>;(&(objectClass=msExchPFTree)(msExchPFTreeType=1)(msExchOwningPFTreeBL=CN=PUBLICFOLDERMAIL01,CN=MAIL01-SG1,CN=InformationStore,CN=LHR-MAIL01,CN=Servers,CN=MENZIES-AG,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=MENZIES,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=menzies,DC=net));name;subTree
01/10/2010 17:08:11 : Debug   : ConfigurePublicFolderInfoStore       : Found 1 matching public folder(s)
01/10/2010 17:08:11 : Debug   : ConfigurePublicFolderInfoStore       : Registering forms for public folder: Public Folders
01/10/2010 17:08:11 : Debug   : ConfigureSchema                      : Creating ADODB Connection...
01/10/2010 17:08:11 : Error   : ConfigureSchema                      : ADO connection error: -2146105340
01/10/2010 17:08:11 : Error   : ConfigureSchema                      : Failed to make ADO connection to: http://LHR-MAIL01/exadmin/admin/emea.menzies.net/Public%20Folders/%23%23SchemaURI%23%23/

I also see it looking for my servers twice, but once with 00- in front, for example 00-LHR-MAIL01, though I believe this to be caused by Double Take and should not affect Vault as it sees the stores under the correct part and that looks to have gone OK.

James_Slack
Level 6

OK, I have worked out what is going on here at last.

The control files will not copy over on install on the FE boxes.

Noticed the "copy of control folders installed by enterprise vault" were missing under some of the numbered folders (SP2) in Exchweb.

Did and uninstall and tried a reinstall but got an error about being unable to copy the control files this time.

Now, to get it working continuing the install will work if you then copy over the files manually, but I will wait to see if Symantec have a solution for me.

I'll post back any findings.