cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP.......Enterprise Vault Sites and Multiple Datacenters

gluppy
Level 3
I have a questions regarding Enterprise Vault Sites and Distributed Data Centers. I''m trying to give as much detail as possible so forgive me if some of it is irrelevant.

We are a Global Organization with two large Datacenters, one in the U.S. and one in Europe. We have a single Exchange Organization with two Routing Groups, one for the U.S. and one for Europe. We have about 3000 users in the U.S. and about 1000 in Europe. We currently have an Enterprise Vault solution in the U.S. and are would like to have an Enterprise Vault solution in Europe. The two Datacenters are connected by a DS3 pipe

Is this a good situation to configure a new EV site (E.U) or would it be better to make the new EV configuration a member of the (U.S.) EV site? What are the pro's and cons of seperate EV sites and what are the pros and cons of a single EV site? Any recommendations?

help.....
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
 Making them all part of the same site would make management easier but to do so the system in the EU will have to talk with the Enterprise Vault Directory database in the USA.

If you are happy with your WAN then thats great

If it were me I would use the one site

It will require an EV and SQL server in the US and also an EV and SQL server in Europe but at least that way the only communication going between the locations will be any chatter between the EU server and the SQL server in the USA.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 You can do either for the EV side.

the main thing to watch is the WAN latency

On a different note. Archiving EU data in the USA is an issue. According to the EU and specifically Germany and France your company will require works council approval to house EU data in the USA. Europe has very strict laws on this and Germany being the hardest to overcome.

Before making this decision I would have your legal teams investigate the legality of archiving EU data in the USA

There is however a way around it.....Move the users mailboxes to a USA server. That way all data is housed in the US so not under the EU regulations

gluppy
Level 3
Thanks for the info on the legal ramifications. We will archive the E.U. email and the U.S. email in their respective continents. That is definately a concern.

We have a DS3 connections between the U.S. and the E.U. so bandwidth is not an issue. My main concern is what would be the pros and cons of a single site v.s. multiple site solution.  And even a recommendation of the best way to handle this scenario. All the best.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 Making them all part of the same site would make management easier but to do so the system in the EU will have to talk with the Enterprise Vault Directory database in the USA.

If you are happy with your WAN then thats great

If it were me I would use the one site

It will require an EV and SQL server in the US and also an EV and SQL server in Europe but at least that way the only communication going between the locations will be any chatter between the EU server and the SQL server in the USA.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 Did you get the answer you were expecting? If you did can you please mark the thread as solved

gluppy
Level 3
Thank your for all the help. I was really lost. The single site solution is the best solution... 

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
 Yes it is. Makes your management easier

Seeing as you seem to have the solution please mark a post as the solution

BobUithoven
Level 2
If you are running Enteprise Vault version 8, I would also believe that a significant amount of traffic would be generated over the WAN for the process of single instancing between Vault Stores withing a Storage Group?

That's assuming you would add them to the same storage group.  If you did not, then this would not necessarily be a factor and only the communiation with the Directory Database would come into play.

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
BobUithoven

You are correct if they were in the same storage group then communication to the fingerprint database would cause lots of traffic if they were in the same storage group on an EV8.X install