cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone ever refreshed FSA placeholders to a new SAN?

tluncefo
Level 4
Partner

We will be using HDS to migrate SAN data from one array to another.  We have several TB's of FSA placeholders that will have to be migrated.  The migration process is done behind the scenes on the arrays.  The copy is done on a block by block basis from one array to the other.

My question is - has anyone ever experienced this type of migration and was it successful or not?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Maverik
Level 6

It all basically depends on if the alternate data stream info is copied OK.  I would personally test it on a sinlge test volume first with a new target.  If when completed you can open the items via placholder and archive new items I would take that as a sucess.  I assume everything else is going to stay the same like path/file server etc, and this is purely at low level disk change.  

In addition my advice would also to be, not to take anyone elses word for it that it worked for them so it would be OK for you.  Too many times I have seen subtle differences between products etc that do restores/moves and the way they handle data streams.  Definatley my advice is to test it. :)

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Maverik
Level 6

It all basically depends on if the alternate data stream info is copied OK.  I would personally test it on a sinlge test volume first with a new target.  If when completed you can open the items via placholder and archive new items I would take that as a sucess.  I assume everything else is going to stay the same like path/file server etc, and this is purely at low level disk change.  

In addition my advice would also to be, not to take anyone elses word for it that it worked for them so it would be OK for you.  Too many times I have seen subtle differences between products etc that do restores/moves and the way they handle data streams.  Definatley my advice is to test it. :)