Did you mean: 

High Exchange CPU load after Enterprise Vault installed

KrisG
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi!

• EV 9.0.1 on VM (VMware)
  • Exchange 2007 with Mailbox Role in cluster, also on VMs

Before EV, CPU load on MBX servers during working hours (9AM - 5PM) was about 40-50%.

After we installed EV environment and set up EV Exchange Archiving, the Exchange MBX server's CPU load problem appeared. Now, at 8 AM (before users work) CPU load is 30% constant, and at 9 AM increases to 70-80% and stay at that level till 5PM, when users leave. When users pick up archived mails, load increase to 90-100% and Outlooks hang for a while. So number of active users influence is clear.

Have you ever heard about something like this? Is it quite normal? Is there any possibility to optimize something?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

KrisG
Level 4
Partner Accredited

OK, I found the answer...

Everything is cleared in Symantec Enterprise Messaging Management for Microsoft® Exchange yellowbook.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Only time i've seen it go crazy like that is due Disk queue contention

I would expect to see most spikes occur around the synchronization time (when it writes a hidden message to each users mailbox) and during regular archiving (which should be in the evening)

So i guess the questions i have are

1. In the Mailbox Archiving Policy, how are you setting the shortcts?
(i.e include a banner, include links for attachments, leave 500 characters etc)

2. In the Mailbox Archiving Policy, are you setting the Moved Items feature so users can move shortcuts and have them reflect in archive explorer?

3. Do you do Orphaned Shortcut Deletion and Shortcut Expiry?

4. What is your Backup Strategy on the EV Partitions?
(After Backup, Immediately after archive?)

5. What is the CPU allocation like on the EV Server?

6. What is the Virtual Memory set for the exchange server and how much physical memory has it got?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

KrisG
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Below the answer:

1. Banner is included, links for attachements are included, 150 characters leaved, original items are deleted after archiving, archive all messages.
  2. Moved items feature is set to update archive location for items moved in the mailbox, also Update the Retention Category is set for all, include items with RC selected by the user, custom filter or PST migration.
  3. We do Shortcut Expiry after 6 months (now we are 2 months after EV deployment) and do Orphaned Shortcuts Deletion.
  4. We remove safety copies immidiately after archive.
  5. When A5 queue is filled, CPU on EV server is about 60%, when normally is 10%.
  6. Virtual memory on MBX is set to 'automatically managed size', when wirtual RAM is 12GB (this is wirtual machine)

KrisG
Level 4
Partner Accredited

OK, I found the answer...

Everything is cleared in Symantec Enterprise Messaging Management for Microsoft® Exchange yellowbook.