cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High availability for Enterprise vault domino gateway

ecrgvp
Level 4

Hello,

I'm having query on making the EVDG (EV domino gateway) highly available and load balance if possible..Did anyone try this before and could you share the experiences..My requirement is to add another EVDG server to site so that users are be able access the archived emails from notes client in case one of the EVDG server goes down.. Are there any special configuration needed on the EVDG for this purpose, I'm wondering how archived shortcuts will will know to speak to the other EVDG server.

Thank you,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jim_leggett
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

So for archiving purposes the EVDG is not a consideration. All communication is done from the task via the Notes API and makes connections to the target servers for archiving.

The EVDG is used only for retrievals of archived mail for the end users.

In the event that you lost the EVDG on one of your EV Servers your best bet is to get the EVDG back up and running. High availability for the EVDG is on the roadmap for the product. The method described in the tech note is the only method for high availability that is supported at this time.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

jim_leggett
Level 6

Making the EVDG automatically failover to  additional instances is on the roadmap for a future release. 

A few customer has set it up in the following manner and have had success with failover capability.

The data directory of the EVDG will have to be on a shared disk to the nodes of the cluster. So you will not want to use domino clustering. Instead you will want to use Veritas Cluster SErvices or Microsoft Cluster services to set the Domino service as a resource.

Then use the following tech note to set the necessary registry keys so that EVDominoHousekeeping task will use the virtual name for the host instead of the physical name.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH75338

Hope this helps. 

ecrgvp
Level 4

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your suggestions. In case I have two EVDG servers installed as standalone in the same site, I would like to know how the Lotus client decide to which EVDG to connect..I'm not sure how Notes client speak to EVDG, I was wondering if there is any way that we can make Notes to speak to the second EVDG server while the Primary EVDG server fails instead of using clustering. Since I have already got my EVDG servers configured on a standard edition OS, clustering may not be an option..

I have gone through the documentation, there isnt much about EVDG availability.

jim_leggett
Level 6

So for archiving purposes the EVDG is not a consideration. All communication is done from the task via the Notes API and makes connections to the target servers for archiving.

The EVDG is used only for retrievals of archived mail for the end users.

In the event that you lost the EVDG on one of your EV Servers your best bet is to get the EVDG back up and running. High availability for the EVDG is on the roadmap for the product. The method described in the tech note is the only method for high availability that is supported at this time.