cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I force the EV search UI language to EN everywhere?

BruGuy
Level 6
Hello,

Is there a way please to force the EV search interface both in Outlook and in IE to be in one language only, e.g., English, regardless of the local PC settings?

The regional settings on our PCs can vary, so the inteface is appearing in different languages, making it very difficult to support. Our corp. standard for IT apps is English.

Thanks,

- Alan.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Well in part it's that sort of area, on XP I see :-

Regional and Languages options, then the Regional Options tab.

But there is also the IE language.

I mean really if you want to hardcode everything to English ..  try either not making people local administrators on their machine, or use a group policy to prevent people changing the regional settings (and IE settings).

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Best bet...

A guy in Back Line Support, and I worked on a variation of the following article which hardcodes the OWA language to English ..  Note it's not straight forward with this, because EV uses the accept-language field to include some other things.    NOTE: We did this as a proof of concept, so you should definitely take it with a pinch-of-salt, and test it thoroughly... but in the end the question is more for can you force IIS to always return English ... not really EV.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310599

The variation we made was to have :

DWORD CAcceptLanguageFilter::OnPreprocHeaders(CHttpFilterContext* pCtxt,

PHTTP_FILTER_PREPROC_HEADERS pHeaderInfo)

{

char szBuf[1024];

memset(szBuf, 0, 1024);

DWORD dwSize = 1024;

pHeaderInfo->GetHeader(pCtxt->m_pFC, "Accept-Language:", &szBuf, &dwSize);

char *sz;

if(strnicmp(szBuf + strlen(szBuf) - 3, ",EV", 3) == 0)

{

sz = "en-US,EV";

}

else

{

sz = "en-US";

}

pHeaderInfo->SetHeader(pCtxt->m_pFC, "Accept-Language:", sz);

// TODO: React to this notification accordingly and

// return the appropriate status code

return SF_STATUS_REQ_NEXT_NOTIFICATION;

}

Instead of :

char* sz;
   sz = "en-us";
   pHeaderInfo->SetHeader(pCtxt->m_pFC, "Accept-Language:", sz);

BruGuy
Level 6
Thanks Rob. I'll give that a try. Just one thing: I add it to IIS on the Exchange server or the (MS-clustered) EV server, or both?

It should be added to a wish list. A nice drop-down to force the language in a mailbox policy.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
BruGuy,

You'd need to install it "everywhere you  have IIS"... so yes EV server (so that search.asp/searcho2k.asp comes back in English) and your Exchange servers (so that OWA comes back in English).

I'd be very careful though :)

BruGuy
Level 6
... it's a standard solution for Exchange, so I'm not that worried there. But for EV, what's the worse that can happen, we just have to remove it? It's not likely to damage EV itself, is it?

Would you mind telling me exactly which CP setting in the PC controls the language in EV. Is it CP - Regional and Language Options - Languages - Details - Settings - Default input language?

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Well in part it's that sort of area, on XP I see :-

Regional and Languages options, then the Regional Options tab.

But there is also the IE language.

I mean really if you want to hardcode everything to English ..  try either not making people local administrators on their machine, or use a group policy to prevent people changing the regional settings (and IE settings).

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Do you need any more info here?
Please mark a post as a solution if it fits your needs.

Cheers

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.