cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I tell what my Vault server is doing?

James_Slack
Level 6

Hi,

Strange question here, but I have found that my Vault server is running very low utilisation, as in 0% -> 5% CPU being used.

Usually it is flatlining at 95% -> 100% CPU utilisation.

How can I tell if it is running any archiving?

It is in schedule to be archiving a mail server - but I would like to see what it is actually doing.

Cheers for any advice

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

James_Slack
Level 6

OK, issue understood now...

I went on again and it was back to 100% again... so I checked the schedule and as I suspected, it had moved on to the next server.

That means just one of our Exchange boxes is having an issue - on closer inspection it had failed over to our passive node, so I am sorting that now.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Check the MSMQ's

Check mailbox sizes

Check Eventlogs

Check SQL to see archive rates of last period, this should do last 10 days

use evvaultstore1
select "Archived Date" = left (convert (varchar, archiveddate,20),10),"Daily Rate" = count (*),"Size" = sum (itemsize)from saveset
where archiveddate > dateadd("hh", -240, getdate ())
group by
left (convert (varchar, archiveddate,20),10)
order by "Archived Date"
Desc

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The easies way to check if it *should* be doing something is having a look on the Archiving Task. If it is doing something, it should state "Processing", if it is not doing something (stand-by), it should say "Running".

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

There are also some performance counters which can be viewed through Perfmon

James_Slack
Level 6

Hi,

The archive task for the server i expect to be doing things shows "running" but i am pretty sure it always has looked like that. It is in schedule to run... any way I can check for sure?

I had a look in the message queueing, but I have no idea what I am looking for. There are some files in the system32\msmq\storage folder, but not loads (56) some are 0k and some are 4096k.

In events, i can see Event 3156 - start to process exchange system SERVER.

Then i can see a bunch of  3250 - message could not be archived because it is corrupt (which we see all the time).

Then I have a 7303 - times out wiating for an IndexServer to stop... (could this be the issue?)

Then lots more 3250 and then another 7303, so I guess it did continue processing.

So not sure from that.

I will have a go at that SQL now.

thanks

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

James by MSMQ i mean the queues and their size. Open Comp management ==> Services and Applications ==> Message Queues ==> Private queues. There should be a few here, there are queue information in the EV help file IIRC

James_Slack
Level 6

Yeah, I did have a look in there before, I can see 1 message in any of those queues that seems to have been there for ages. and the rest (there are loads! Maybe one per mail store) are all sitting at 0 - not sure if that is normal.

Might try a reboot and monitor it after as I suspect that will kick it into life.

Cheers - James

Mohawk_Marvin
Level 6
Partner

Depending on the queue, it might be worth purging the queue in case it is frying the MSMQ

James_Slack
Level 6

OK, issue understood now...

I went on again and it was back to 100% again... so I checked the schedule and as I suspected, it had moved on to the next server.

That means just one of our Exchange boxes is having an issue - on closer inspection it had failed over to our passive node, so I am sorting that now.

James_Slack
Level 6

Also, as a point of interest, the status of the working archive task does only say Running like the other ones that are not in schedule.

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello James,

As far as I know, the SCHEDULED tasks remain running. It is only when doing a manual 'run now' you see 'processing' (for sure on provisioning and move archive task)

For the archiving tasks (mail and journal) I believe they remain in 'running' always, even when actually working. Than you see items going in and out of MSMQ.

Regards. Gertjan