cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Enterprise Vault handle existing EV shortcuts when new Archive is enabled

EV_Wanabee
Level 4
Recently an EV archive was erroneously deleted but the associated mailbox was not.  The associated mailbox therefore has existing shortcuts that were associated with deleted archive.

I am to create a new archive for this mailbox with 2 retention categories in force. What is this new archive likely to do when it tries to archive these shortcuts (The attachments are deleted and we are not going to try to retrieve them, the existing shortcuts are still displayed as being of EV message class)

Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5

Rob_Hanson
Level 6
Employee
They aren't going to work.....

andra_christie
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Rob is correct, the existing shortcuts that point to the delete archive will not work. What I suggest is that you delete the old shortcuts before you do additional archiving and end up with shortcuts from the old archive and the new archive as well.

Do an advanced search in outlook (select mailbox root and subfolders and search on message class ipm.note.enterprisevault.shortcut) and delete all shortcuts from the delete archive at once.

EV_Wanabee
Level 4
Thanks Andra\Rob,

To my understanding deleting the shortcuts would get rid of the Email (despite the attachments being gone the text is still required). I was therefore thinking that if deleting the existing shortcuts was the only option I would instead pull all the EV message class items into a single folder and then leave them seperate so as to avoid any confusion when i create a new archive.

Any alternatives do you think?

Message Edited by EV Wanabee on 05-04-200702:01 AM

John_Chisari
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Sounds like you are keeping the whole message body in the shortcut and you want to retain this.

You could change the message class manually on the email back to IPM.Note - there are a couple of third party tools that will allow you to do this - that way the user will still be able to open the message without getting an error.
The message will also then get archived by EV again once it matches your archiving policies.

EV_Wanabee
Level 4
That sounds promising John,

I'll try to let you know how it works out.