cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to determine how much email will be Vaulted before Vaulting?

Stu_Packett
Level 4
We have not implemented Vault yet, but we're pushing really hard for it.  However, upper management wants to know how much email will be Vaulted if we do implement it.  For example, how much email will be Vaulted if we Vault emails older than X amount of years, or Y amount of years.  They don't need exact numbers, but more ball park numbers.

What do you suggest I use or do to give them this information?  Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
Urm, ok. This is not what I expected to see from the message subject Smiley Happy

This really depends on what archiving strategy you would want to employ, i.e. archiving items 1 month old, 3 months old, 6 months old, etc etc.

It is a very hard thing to say "oh you will archive X in Y months" without knowing your average throughput and ultimately what you want to achieve.

You could archive everything that comes in, using a 0 day policy.

I would advise speaking with a re-seller or our Professional Services arm and take it from there. At the end of the day, EV will archive what you configure it to.

Regards,

Mark

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee
Urm, ok. This is not what I expected to see from the message subject Smiley Happy

This really depends on what archiving strategy you would want to employ, i.e. archiving items 1 month old, 3 months old, 6 months old, etc etc.

It is a very hard thing to say "oh you will archive X in Y months" without knowing your average throughput and ultimately what you want to achieve.

You could archive everything that comes in, using a 0 day policy.

I would advise speaking with a re-seller or our Professional Services arm and take it from there. At the end of the day, EV will archive what you configure it to.

Regards,

Mark

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Mark is correct.  Symantecs sales have a tool that will analyze your Exchange Stores and report on the messages at  various ages.

regards,
Tony

Eloya
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
Yes, the tool mentioned is called 'Exchange Store Reporter' and can analyze the age structure of your mailboxes. You also get handy charts to show them to your decision makers. So it is possible to get quite a good understanding of how much mail would get archived using a specific archiving policy (for example, 60 days).

Version 2 should be the most actual, IIRC.

Kind regards,

Nico