Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move an EV server from server2003 to server 2008

RVD
Level 5
Partner
Hi,

One of our existing EV customers wants to move his EV 2007 server (currently running on MS server 2003) to a new server running on MS Server 2008.
First thing that he will have to do is the upgrade of EV to v8.0 off course.
But what about the OS upgrade?
I already read a few threads about this and what I often read is that "the EV program on the new server must be installed in the same installation path as the old server". 
Most of the time EV is installed in 'C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault". But , on MS Server 2008 64bit this becomes "C:\Program Files (x86)", not?

Anyone experience with this?

Is there somewhere a good official document about moving EV servers to another server (same name, other name, OS versions, ...).
The standard info in the administrator's guide differs often with information inside the different forum threads about this.
Sometimes it looks pretty simple, sometimes you ask yourself : is it that complicated!  

Thanks,

Rudy
3 REPLIES 3

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Upgrade EV to version 8 SP2 on the present OS
Make full backups of everything

Then reinstall the server with 2008 (do not upgrade)

Then do a Data only Disaster Recovery of the EV environment (as detailed in the Admin guide)

RVD
Level 5
Partner

Thanks for the reply,

but ... my main question remains ...

what about the installation path for the new 2008 server 64bit?

As the admin guide says for data only DR:

.Note the following:- Install Enterprise Vault on each new server, into the same folder as on the original server

So, if I install it under C:\Program Files (x86)\Enterprise Vault , what about links to the 'old'  C:\Program FIles\Enterprise Vault folder?

greetz,

Rudy

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
 The "Into the same folder" pertains to the locations of your indexes and vault data. the install of EV will be a new install so EV will know where the EV files are but the database which points to the locations where your data files and indexes are stored wont be updated so you need to ensure that the datafiles are stored "into the same folders" but the install files can go into the (x86)  Program Files