cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to tell if evertything's been archived from a mailbox?

charles-k
Level 5
I have a provisioning group set up for terminated employees, which is bound to mailbox policies that archive everything from the mailbox.  When someone leaves the company, I delete his/her account from the "production" provisioning group (archives items based on age) and add it to the terminated employee provisioning group, then run the archiving task to archive off everything to EV.  Then I purge the mailbox from Exchange.  Here's my question -- is there a way to tell when/whether the archiving task has finished processing through every item in that mailbox?  Right now, I just let the mailbox get archived for a few days or a week, depending on how large the mailbox was, then purge it from Exchange when its size appears to have bottomed out.  But that's based only on a guess; it'd be nice to know emperically that there aren't any more items for EV to process during the next archiving run (remember, this is a terminated employee's mailbox, so there aren't any new messages coming into it).  Is there a way to determine this?  I'm running EV 8.0 SP3.  Thanks for any help with this.

Charles
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Maverik
Level 6
Simplest way is one of the following.

1: Check the user's mailbox via Outlook after giving yourself rights and if the policy is set to remove the original item the mailbox should be empy.

2: You could do a "Run Now" just against the mailbox concerned in report mode and review the report.  From the report you should be able to work out easily if there are any items still to be archived via the various columns of information. (easiest way to view the report is in Excel to allign the columns).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Maverik
Level 6
Simplest way is one of the following.

1: Check the user's mailbox via Outlook after giving yourself rights and if the policy is set to remove the original item the mailbox should be empy.

2: You could do a "Run Now" just against the mailbox concerned in report mode and review the report.  From the report you should be able to work out easily if there are any items still to be archived via the various columns of information. (easiest way to view the report is in Excel to allign the columns).

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
Unfortunately there isn't a way directly in the product to determine if there is more to archive, unless you do a report mode run against the mailbox.

You could also write a bit of vbscript + cdo to find out how many mails were in each mailbox.
Working for cloudficient.com

charles-k
Level 5
Thanks for your responses guys.  I guess I'll have to resort to doing report mode archive runs against each mailbox.  Any plans to include such functionality in a future release?

Charles

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner
I'm not aware of any such feature planned.
Working for cloudficient.com

Batmanfail
Level 4
Why not run a PowerShell script that tells you the mailbox size for the user?  There are some examples here http://www.powershellcommunity.org/Forums/tabid/54/aff/3/aft/2818/afv/topic/Default.aspx