cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I dont think my Backup Pre and Post Scripts work properly?

aedhasdad
Level 3
I want to put my Enterprise Vault Server into back up mode so NetBackup can run, but I believe although it looks right, the script to take it out of backup mode isnt working properly?

can someone run a critical eye over them?

This is the Script to put the server into backup mode, it is called bpstart_notify.EV_Backup.bat

powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {set-vaultstorebackupmode -name 'Nottingham Vault Store Group' -evservername UKEV01 -evobjecttype vaultstoregroup}"
powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {set-indexlocationbackupmode UKEV01}"

This is the Script to take the server out of backup mode, it is called bpend_notify.EV_Backup.bat

powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {clear-vaultstorebackupmode -name 'Nottingham Vault Store Group' -evservername UKEV01 -evobjecttype vaultstoregroup}"
powershell -psconsolefile "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\EVShell.psc1" -command "& {clear-indexlocationbackUpmode UKEV01}"

As i said before, my Enterprise Vault is called UKEV01 and the Vault Store Group is called "Nottingham Vault Store Group"
In the Vault Store Group there are 3 vault stores

File System Vault Store
Journaling Vault Store
Exchange Vault Store

Any help is appreciated and if you need more information feel free to ask.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I used to use this one:

Check with your DBA!!

USE EVVSGExpresVaultStoreGroup_1_1
GO

BACKUP LOG  EVVSGExpresVaultStoreGroup_1_1 WITH  TRUNCATE_ONLY
BACKUP LOG  EVVSGExpresVaultStoreGroup_1_1 WITH  NO_LOG
GO

BACKUP LOG tempdb WITH  TRUNCATE_ONLY
BACKUP LOG tempdb WITH  NO_LOG
GO

GO

DBCC SHRINKFILE (EVVSGExpresVaultStoreGroup_1_1Log70, 80)
GO
Regards. Gertjan

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

GertjanA
Hi,

What is not working?
Do you get an error?

Regards. Gertjan

aedhasdad
Level 3
No error - seems to run just fine.

the reason i suspect is this,

until we decide what were doing with EV, we are using journaling only, and have basically been letting it run and run.

Yesterday i decided to do a manual backup, so i ran the 1st script to put it into backup mode, there is no visual indication its in backup mode, but windows backup did a flat file backup with no errors, so i assume its fine.

I then run the 2nd scritp to put it back into production mode, again no indicaiton it failed but no visual sign its in production mode....

I log off and go home, i come in this morning and theres 3000 items in the journal mailbox and its 230Mb in size, i right click on the vault site (in our case its called UK Vault Site) and under "Set State" theres 4 options:

Set Backup mode on all vault stores
Clear backup mode from all vault stores
Set Backup mode on all index locations
Clear backup mode on all index locations

i chose both the clear options and hey presto - it starts to clear the backlog in the journal mailbox...

which is why i think the scripts dont work properly.
this is the Event viewer entry after the 2nd script has run:

Successfully cleared Backup Mode from all the Vault Stores that are managed by the Storage Service on this computer.

Storage Service EntryID: 16F873EAB8F875E4796D4E2BD8ADA28FE1e10000ukvault

Name: UKEV01

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp

GertjanA
Hi,

I'm not too sure about the format by heart. Will check tomorrow at the office.
Your script probably works partially, as indexes seem to be out of backup mode.

To check backup mode:
There is an additional powershellcommand - Get-backupstate (something)
Additionally, you can check in the console.
Open Vault Store Groups, select a store. You will see in the right pane a column called backup mode.
As for the indexes, you can check this in the VAC by expanding the Enterprise Vault Servers part, expand a server, click services, rightclick indexing service, properties, check column backup-mode

More tomorrow (ie in 12 hours for me)

Gertjan
Regards. Gertjan

aedhasdad
Level 3
Thanks, now i know where to look i can see my scripts run just fine.

I also discovered that this is not what is making the EV stop emptying the Journal Mailbox - its because the SQL server has filled its Disk with the database for the Journaling store.

Have increased the disk on the SQL server from 40GB to 100GB.

However its saying the database is 97% full :(

GertjanA
Different topic. Close this one, and open a new one...

Check that you either backup the journal store, and reset the archivebit, or use the triggerfile.

Also, is it saying database, or transactionlog? small, but significant difference.

GJ
Regards. Gertjan

aedhasdad
Level 3

From Event viewer

The SQL database transaction log for Vault Store Group 'EVVSGExpressVaultStoreGroup_1_1' has used 97% of its allocated space.

The information in this database is at risk until the database has been backed up.

Review your SQL database backup procedures and make any changes needed to ensure that backups happen in a timely fashion.

Ensure that your database is adequately sized for the transactions taking place during an archive run.

Also check that there is enough disk space available to accommodate any growth in your database and database transaction log files.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

GertjanA
I used to use this one:

Check with your DBA!!

GO

BACKUP LOG  EVVSGExpresVaultStoreGroup_1_1 WITH  NO_LOG
GO

BACKUP LOG tempdb WITH  NO_LOG
GO

GO

DBCC SHRINKFILE (EVVSGExpresVaultStoreGroup_1_1Log70, 80)
GO
Regards. Gertjan

aedhasdad
Level 3
Thanks, will get our DBAs on it.