cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing Bloomberg messages

BigAnvil
Level 5

We are running Enterprise Vault 2007 SP2 against Exchange Server 2003.  We have setup access to all the Bloomberg mail and IMs via FTP download.  There are five file formats provided for us on the FTP site and one of them is .msg which would make the most sense to work with since it is already a native Exchange format.

Ultimately, we would like to automate the import process but I'm not sure of the best way to accomplish this task.  Is this possible to do without 3rd party applications?  We currently only have one Journal mailbox.  We did setup a mailbox for archiving old PSTs into the vault and I assume we could just add the .msg files to a PST file and use the PST migration utility from the server to import them.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

6 REPLIES 6

BigAnvil
Level 5
Update to the previous post:  I didn't notice that all of the file options are XML files, with one of them being MSG.  They are not actually MSG files as I mentioned in my initial question.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi

You could archive those files using FSA, but you would need to buy a license for it...

As those files are not native MSG files, there is no option to import them into a Mailbox archive.

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

BigAnvil
Level 5

Not sure if this makes a difference but, we need to import the messages with their related attachments so they are searchable and discoverable in the same way other email is - via EV-CA and EV-DA.

Don't know much about FSA but at first glance it doesn't look like it fits the bill.

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

OK, then FSA is not an option, I think.

But how would you create a "real" MSG file out of those XML's, anyway?

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

BigAnvil
Level 5

I know there are products out there that convert between different file types.  One product is Transend Migrator (also Transend Migrator Forensic Edition).  I've used the former product to convert Lotus Notes email to Microsoft Exchange compatible email before.  Looks like the forensic edition will convert xml to MSG files.  That doesn't help with the other file types and/or making sure the related attachments are archived with the appropriate email.

I think I will open a case with Symantec and see where it gets me...

Jackie_Ervin
Not applicable
Partner

Hi BigAnvil,

Globanet Consulting has a product used by many financial companies for importing Bloomberg email and IM data into either Enterprise Vault, or Exchange.  It is called Bloomberg Importer.  The link to the product sheet is http://www.globanet.com/products_bloomberg_importer.php .  I hope this helps.

Jackie Ervin

Globanet Consulting.